Chapter 8

When I came back to the office with the warm freshly printed papers, I found Mr. Stone staring out the window his back facing me. He didn't acknowledge me until I set the papers down on his desk and began to walk over to mine. I put my cardigan on wrapping it around myself before turning around.

"I'll be heading out for lunch if that's ok with you Mr. Stone" I address him politely.

"Go ahead but I expect you back in an hour Ms. Winters" he replies turning around to face me.

With a nod, I make my way out of his office and towards the elevator pressing the button. I walk inside the elevator and wait until the elevator reaches the bottom floor. Stepping out, I make my way into the lobby looking around for Connor. I feel a hand on my shoulder and whip around so fast that I stumble. I look up to see the devil himself chuckling at me while shaking his head amused.

"You almost gave me a heart attack asshole" I glare before cracking a smile.

"My apologies my lady, allow me to escort you to lunch" he replies in a mock British accent offering me his arm.

"I'd be delighted to kind sir" I reply taking his hand before giving it a firm squeeze, "Next time you scare me I'll shove your arm down your throat" I add with an innocent smile.

We both stare at each other before bursting out into a fit of laughter to which the receptionist shushes us. I follow him out of the building and towards his car before speaking.

"Where are you taking me" I ask curiously.

"That's for me to know and you to find out" he replies with a smirk.

Rolling my eyes I get into his car before buckling up as he starts the engine. We make our way out of the parking lot and we sit in a comfortable silence for awhile before we pull into a nice looking diner. Getting out of the car, I straighten out my skirt before following Connor inside the diner. When we get inside, I'm instantly hit with the smell of coffee and it gave me a sense of comfort. We walk over to a table further back before taking a seat.

"This is a really cute place" I say while giving the place a glance over.

"My mom use to bring my siblings and I here on the weekends" he replies his eyes showing his sheer mirth.

"Aw don't I feel special being included in a family tradition" I reply with a genuine smile to which he returns.

"You are special" he whispers quiet enough that I almost didn't catch it. Blushing, I pick up the menu trying to pick what I wanted to eat but everything sounded so damn good.

"I'm stuck between the baked Mac N' Cheese or the chicken pot pie" I exclaim with a pout.

"Get the pot pie, it's legendary" he replies smirking before adding " I think I'm just gonna get the classic cheeseburger and fries"

"Good luck getting fat" I tease to which he laughs.

He shakes his head at me amused before a waitress comes over to take our order.

"What would y'all like to drink today" she asks with a thick southern accent.

"I'll have an iced tea" I respond.

"And I'll have a Diet Coke" Connor replies. With a nod she walks away from our table to fetch the drinks before coming back again.