Sweet Escape

Dedicated to my 45th fan!!!

....................................................................................

The movie ended and Luke thought it might be best if I stay with him at his place tonight, give my parents some space. I agreed so I packed an overnight back and scribbled down a note for my parents letting them know where we were.

 Gone to Lucas’ don’t wait up. See you tomorrow. Amber x

It was weird climbing into the passenger seat of Luke’s car without having to duck down with a blanket over my head. Lucas handed me his phone to call his mom and let her know we were coming. I dialed the number I knew off by heart and Sue picked up on the third ring.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Aunty Sue, it’s Amber.” I smiled even though she couldn’t see me.

“Oh! Hello Amber dear, how are you?”

“I'm ok thanks, Luke’s hear with me. He can’t talk right know though ‘cause he’s driving.”

“Oh, you kids going anywhere interesting?”

“Um,” I chewed my lip uncomfortably. I really hope she goes for this. “Actually Aunt Sue, we’re headed over to yours right now.”

There was a small stretch of silence as she processed this. “Great! You know how much I love to see you both. We didn’t get much chance to talk what with all the drama yesterday.”

Ice ran through my heart. I felt guilty for all of the trouble I’d caused them. Gripping the cell tighter I took a deep breath. “We were actually wondering if we could stay with you for a couple days. If you don’t mind. My parents are back in town and they aren’t too happy about my little publicity stunt.”

Sue sighed on the other end of the line. “Oh right, I see. Well, I don't like the idea of you avoiding them Amber, you have to face them sometime. But I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to have a little space for a few days, just until they calm down.”

Yes! I did a little fist pump. “Thanks Aunty Sue! You’re the best!” She chuckled slightly at my overexcitement.

“Ok then, guess we’ll see you kids soon.”

“Yeah, see ya!” I chirped and hung up the phone.

Lucas chuckled and gave me a knowing look. “I take it she said yes then?”

I beamed at him. “Hell yeah.”

We arrived at the Wolfe’s just a little after midnight. Luke explained the situation and the mini argument with my parents this morning. Both Sue and John were really understanding about the whole situation. Since it was so late Sue just ordered us to head straight to bed and promised we'd talk more in the morning. John informed us we’d be staying in Lucas’ old room. I was fine with that. The thought of Luke’s old room reminded me of the countless summers we spent here as kids.