Birthday wishes and unexpected gifts

I stood before my wall-length mirror appraising my work. I wore some simple dark blue skinny jeans with my favourite grey band shirt, a red checkered shirt over the top and hi-top converse. The look wasn't much different to what I wore normally to school but I didn't care.

I applied the last stoke of mascara to my unusually long and luscious lashes, completing the natural look of my make-up. I quickly scrunched my artfully styled curls before grabbing my bag and heading downstairs.

I went into the kitchen in search of food.

"Good morning, Miss Harvey. What would you like today?" asked Pierre. He was my mom's personal chef. Neither of us got on very well with each other at first. I thought he was conceited and he felt I lacked manners. After many pranks by me, and an explosive argument that lead to a food fight that would make charities weep, we finally called a truce.

I have to say Pierre wasn't that bad. Except when he was trying to shove gourmet food down my throat.

"Just some Lucky Charms this mornin' please Pierre." Pierre scrunched up his nose at me but didn't object as he poured the cereals and handed me the bowl.

Good. It was about time he learned he'd have a simple life if he just fed me what I asked for. That didn't mean he liked what I ate. He always grumbled how I didn't appreciate the fine art of cooking but instead, and I quote, "I stuffed myself with junk and badly presented microwave meals."

I didn't always eat junk. Since Pierre and I formed our truce I'd grudgingly allowed him to cook for me. Although I made him serve it as it came on the plate. Honestly, it was painful to see a grown man cry because you won't let him decorate your food like a Christmas tree.

I finished my bowl of cereals and dumped my dirty dishes in the sink before grabbing my bag and starting for the door.

"Oh, Pierre, can you tell my parents I'll be late home. I have cheerleading practice after school."

Pierre gave me a pointed look but nodded in agreement anyway. We both knew my parents wouldn't be home and even if they did decided to make an appearance, they wouldn't care to spare a second thought for their daughter. We both also knew that I wasn't a cheerleader. That still didn't mean I didn't stay for the practices though...

I heard a horn blare outside and I quickly yanked my jacket out of the closet, snatching my keys from the table in the hallway as I ran to the door.

"Miss Harvey!" yelled Pierre, sticking his head out of the kitchen. I gave him the hurry-up-I'm-late-again look. "Happy Birthday." He handed me a cupcake with blue sparkly icing on the top.

I gave him a grateful smile and mumbled a thanks before heading out the door.

Sprinting down the long drive to the electric wrought iron gates I signalled for Keith, the security guard, to open the gate. He gave me a friendly smile wishing me happy birthday as I jogged through the open gates and into the awaiting car.

It's a sad fact when your staff remember your birthday your own parents don't even send as much as a text.

I turned to the guy behind the wheel. He gave me a megawatt grin before leaning in to give me a soft peck on the lips. "Morning babe. Happy Birthday." I smiled at my boyfriend giving him another slightly longer kiss before clipping on my seat belt.

"Morning Toby, and thanks." He rolled his eyes at me.

"You don't have to thank me for wishing you happy birthday Amby, I'm your boyfriend." I gave him a playful shrug as he started the engine.

"I know that stupid, it's just polite." He smiled at me and reversed onto the road.

"I got you something," He reached over to the back seat of his convertible and handed me a small silver package.

"What is it?" I asked excitedly.

"Open it and find out."

Barely containing my excitement, my fingers nimbly explored the wrapping paper. When I couldn't take the suspense anymore I tore into the package like a rabid dog. There was a small white box. Lifting the lid off carefully it revealed three pieces of paper. I took out the two biggest sheets and examined the typing on the front.

"Oh my god! Two tickets to go see Ed Sheeran! These must have cost you a fortune!" I squealed. Without warning I hugged Toby around the neck.

He pushed me away gently. "Careful woman, I'm driving!" I bit my lip sheepishly.

"I'm sorry Toby, but you are amazing." He smirked.

"I know." He gave me a sly wink.

We lapsed into silence. It wasn't until we were almost at school when Toby piped up. "So...uh...did you see the other thing?"

I stared down at my hands folded in my lap. Yeah, I'd seen the other gift. It was a key card to a room at the Hilton hotel. I cleared my throat.

"Uh...yeah. I did." Was all I managed to say. Since I'm oh, so articulate. Note the sarcasm.

Toby sighed heavily. "If you're not ready, we can wait."

I bit my lip. I know Toby was getting tired of waiting, we'd been together for 18 months and, well, he was a guy. They had needs. But I wasn't ready. Every time we'd come even a little bit close I always had to stop us. It just didn't feel right...yet.

"I know you want to Toby, but not tonight." He nodded and parked in our usual spot.

When we got out of the car. Toby's jock friends came over and they all did that grasp-hands-and-pound-each-other's-backs man hug thing. I told Toby I'd see him later and gave him a kiss on the cheek before going into the school.

I looked back to see Marcy Shade throwing herself at my boyfriend. Toby seemed oblivious but I couldn't help shake the feeling that something wasn't right as I made a beeline straight for my locker.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Just to clear a few things up guys, Amber isn't a cheerleader. She's not very popular and she's sort of social trouble maker. You'll soon find out why she goes to cheerleading practice in one of the next two chapters. Please give me some response to this guys, as I'm a little disheartened to whether people like anything I write apart from Spellbound and only your comments give me the courage and the inspiration to write.

Love you all xxx