The Phone Call

The lunch bell sounded and I sprinted down the hall to my locker. Spinning the combination in a rush I almost pulled the door off of it's hinges as I opened my locker to shove in the various books and presents I'd collected throughout the day.

Slamming my locker shut I headed to the lunch hall.

******

I groaned, slamming my head on the table for about the hundredth time. When will these people give it a rest!

"Eeeeek! He is so hot!"

"I know! I just wanna break into his hotel room and jump his bones!"

I sighed heavily in despair. I was sick of hearing it. For the past two years that's all I've heard. It was annoying.

I was saved from having to listen to anymore gag-worthy gushing when someone slid into the seat beside me. I looked up to see Jennifer. I smiled at her thankfully.

She laughed at my helpless expression. "They still talking about Lucas?" she asked.

I nodded. A frown formed on my face as I looked at the table, contemplating smacking my head off it one more time. You never know, maybe if I did it enough I would pass out or get a concussion so I wouldn't have to sit here any longer and listen to their drivel.

Jen placed a small gift bag on the table in front of me. I snatched it up eagerly and began opening it. "Happy birthday." She stage whispered. I smiled at her and thanked her, giving her a one-armed hug.

I almost gasped as I looked into the little box. "Jen... you shouldn't have." Inside was a beautiful, custom made silver locket. A little swirly pattern was engraved on the front. On the back was the custom message:

Happy 18th Birthday to the Bestest Friend in the World, Love Jen xx

I hugged her tightly before clasping the thin chain around my neck. "Open it up." She ordered.

I gave her a quizzical look but did as instructed. Tears sprung to my eyes immediately. Inside were two pictures. One of us at a Halloween party last year and one of me and him. I was about to thank her again when I was interrupted by a piercing squeal.

"O.M.G! Kelley just sent me a picture of Lucas. Topless!"

I groaned audibly, rolling my eyes. Jen giggled at me and patted my back. "I know it's annoying but I would have thought you would've gotten over it by now."

I closed my eyes and sighed sadly. "You never get over missing your best friend." I whispered.

She gave me a sad smile and pulled me into a hug. When I pulled back she let me, giving me a wide grin.

"So where's hottie-bottie boyfriend?" She asked wagging her eyebrows suggestively. I giggled at her obvious attempt to change the subject. That's why I loved Jen, she understood my moods and knew exactly how to cheer me up.

"I'm not sure," I laughed. "I think he had football practice."

She nodded. "Yeah, come to think of it I think I did see the team practicing on the field on my way over here."

I nodded my head and started unwrapping my forgotten candy bar. We both ate in comfortable silence. I was trying to block out the two air heads still babbling about Lucas. God, did people not know how irritating that was? I hadn't seen my best friend for nearly two years and here people talked about him every day, just reminding me how much I missed him.

I know what you're thinking. Two years? That's an awfully long time to go without seeing someone. People can change. Not Lucas and I. We still stayed in contact through email and text. I couldn't talk to him over Facebook though in case people found his profile and spammed him. He had some really crazy-ass stalker fans.