Losing you

When we pulled into my parent’s garage I slipped out of the car and slammed the door shut. Today had been an epically long day and I could feel the last tendrils of energy slipping away from me. Sluggishly, I shuffled towards the connecting door from the garage into the house, unlocking it with my key.

I completely forgot about Lucas trailing me as I rubbed my bleary eyes and headed for the family lounge where I could here noises, which sounded suspiciously like a television. I entered the room to find my mom and dad perched on separate couches watching some boring documentary on TV.

A pang of something hit my heart as I stared at my parents. They hadn’t been right with each other for a while now. I remembered when I was little, about five or six, when my parents couldn’t be apart. We seemed a lot happier back then. I mean sure they both still worked all the time but at least then they made time for all of us as a family. Now my parents barely acted as though they were married. It was a sad thought, although it would have been more devastating if they still acted like my parents too.

Upon hearing my arrival my mother diverted her tired eyes from the TV screen to look at me. “How was your first day in the public eye?”

I scrunched my nose up at the question.  There were a million words I could think up to describe today but all of them would fall under the pessimistic category. I settled for a relatively neutral adjective. “Long.” My mother blinked at me before turning her attention back to the television.

Looks like that’s the end of that conversation I suppose.

“I don’t know what you expected Amber, really.” My dad interrupted.

Part of me felt like snapping back at him but honestly? I was just too damned tired to put up with my parents crap tonight. With a huff I turned on my heel to leave and slammed right into a hard chest.

“Ow,” I complained, rubbing my nose while glaring up at Lucas. “I didn’t realize you were standing there.”

Lucas cocked his head to the side and I watched as his expression darkened. “I’m not surprised, you’ve been acting weird since the incident on the beach.” I averted my gaze from him guiltily. But Lucas wasn’t having it. He took my chin between his fingers and forced my gaze onto his. Lucas’ slate eyes held a silent accusation and I sighed. I knew there was no hiding this from him.

Silently I took his hand and tugged him towards the stairs. When I felt that he wasn’t going to budge I gave an audible sigh. “Come on Luke let’s go upstairs, I’ll explain everything.”

As soon as we were in the comfort of my room Lucas clicked the door shut and stood so he was right up in my face. “Okay Amber, were alone in your room. Tell me.”

With another heavy sigh I turned and flopped on my bed. Lucas glared; he wasn’t going to give up that easy. I threw up my hands in exasperation. “Find I’ll tell you.” I snapped.

With a stony expression plastered on his face Lucas sat by me on the bed. Rubbing my hands on my face I tried to bide some time so that I could figure out how to explain to Lucas what I was feeling…or come a with a convincing lie.

“Today at the beach…it was bad.” I paused, scrutinizing his expression. Lucas’ face didn’t change so I continued. “When we got the ice-cream parlor, Ruby said something which made me panic I suppose.”

Lucas gave me a look that told me to continue…and tell the truth. I groaned on flopped backwards on the bed so I was lying with my arm covering my face. “She made me doubt whether I was doing the right thing.” I mumbled.

I waited a few seconds for Lucas’ response. When its didn’t come I grew worried and sat up, removing the arm from my face. When I looked at Luke he had scooted away from me slightly and was hunched over his knees, his hands clasped tightly behind his head, which was pointed facedown.

Worry sliced through me like an ice dagger and I crawled over to him. I leaned on my knees to envelope him in a hug. He didn’t relax into my touch like I expected him to which scared me, but at least his didn’t flinch away from me. A lump began to form in my throat and I tried to swallow it back.

“I’m really sorry Lucas, it was only for a second I swear! Only a second.”

Lucas sighed and looked straight ahead, avoiding me gaze. “Yes but you still thought it. You doubted you and me. Us. But most of all you doubted me.” I opened my mouth to protest but Lucas cut me off. “Just tell me one thing Amber. Do you still want this? Because I need to know now before I get in too deep. I love you and I will always love you but if you decide to continue this…relationship with me there’s no turning back. Not for me.”

Tears sprung to my eyes at the pain in his voice. I slid off the bed and onto my knees on the floor in front of him. Lucas tried to look away from me but I grabbed his face and forced him to look at me. Tears swam in his eyes too and the sight was enough to cause a dagger to puncture my heart.

“Oh Lucas, I love you too. I do want this; I want you. You’re my best friend, you always have been and always will be but now you’re much more than that. I never doubt you. You’ve always been worth the risk but I did doubt myself and risking going public, and ruining our friendship. But I love you Lucas and there’s no going back for me either. Whatever happens now, will happen.”

Lucas looked relieved and as he closed his eyes droplets of tears fell. The sight of Lucas weeping caused me to cry too. He chuckled slightly and pulled me onto his lap, crushing me too him. I pulled myself closer, feeling the desperate need to feel close to him right now. He soothed my hair back while rocking me gently.

“I know it’s going to be hard Bambi, but I’ll be there every step of the way. Besides, none of that matters, the fame, the paparazzi, the fans because, at the end of the day that’ll all disappear. What’s important is you and me, we’re real. We’re eternal.”

I smiled happily at that. We were what was important and I was ashamed I had lost sight of that. Brushing the though aside I allowed myself to fall asleep in the comfort of Lucas’ arms.

“I love you, Lucas.”

“And I love you, Bambi.”