Chapter 28

Hello! I legit will never get used to Wattpad. Sheesh. But there's only 2 more chapters left after this one. Whoo! For more of my writing, please visit archiveofourown.org. My username is the same on there as it is on here. I'm also levi.eren_ & dressed_in_darkness on Instagram. :)

---

In the back of Reiner's van, I fought against my restraints until my arms grew tired. I'd managed to loosen the tape around my wrists, but not enough to free my hands. In one final attempt to break loose, I yanked my wrists apart with all the strength I could muster. The tape snapped as it was stretched taut, but it didn't give under the strain, and I was out of time. Reiner had pulled into a gravel lot a few minutes ago. What appeared to be an abandoned factory lay ahead of us like a shadowy prison. That's where he was taking me. He had called it our new "home," though it looked anything but.

There was only one thing left for me to try. My last chance at freedom. When Reiner opened the back doors to get me out of the van, I would have to make a run for it. If I failed, I would be subjected to whatever he had planned for me here at this rotten factory.

I couldn't fail. I wouldn't.

"I know it doesn't look like much from the outside," Reiner said, parking on the side of the tattered brick building to conceal his van from view, "but I've spent the last couple of months cleaning it up. It looks a lot better on the inside. You'll approve. I promise."

He'd been cleaning this place up for the last couple of months? Did that mean he'd been planning to kidnap me for that long? It shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did. Sooner or later, stalking would have led to this. I'd just been stupid enough to believe I had dodged the bullet when I filed a restraining order against him.

After Reiner cut off the engine, he pushed open his door and stepped out. Loose gravel crunched beneath his boots as he turned around to head to the back of the van. Once he was out of sight, I quickly rolled toward the back and shifted so that my feet were poised in such a way that I could kick him the second he opened the doors. I waited. My heart was pounding fiercely in my chest. I only had one shot at this. If I didn't strike him down on my first attempt, I was sure he wouldn't give me the chance to do it again.

Come on...

The distinct sound of the handle being lifted made my heart pound all the harder. I had to kick him with enough force to send him sprawling. That would give me just enough time to lunge out of the van. I could outrun him once I was on my feet.

The door swung open faster than I anticipated, but I reacted without thought and thrust my legs forward as hard as I could. Both my feet slammed against Reiner's chest. He stumbled backwards from the impact, and I used this time to squirm into a sitting position. Then I jumped out of the van. The instant my feet hit the ground, I was running. There was no time to look back to see if he'd already recovered. There was no time to do anything but run.

Wherever Reiner had taken me, it was out in the middle of nowhere. There was nothing but open fields out here. I couldn't spot a single house, which meant I would have to find a place to hide, and fast. At any moment, he could hop into the van and catch up to me.

Although the odds were against me, and the chances of escaping were slim, I wouldn't just give in. I would give Reiner hell every second he kept me out here. Even if he were one step behind me, I would run until my legs gave out.

Surrendering wasn't an option.

I didn't hear the van start up until I reached the road. I pushed myself to go faster then, even when my feet were throbbing in the tight confines of the leather boots I wore. Reiner had snatched me from my dressing room before I could change out of the outfit I'd performed in. The clothing was restricting, just as it was intended to be, but I didn't let it slow me down. I wouldn't let anything slow me down. Not now.