Chapter 25: West of Normal (part 2)

<Keira's POV>

"Keira," Sam says suddenly from my side, "we're here."

When I open my eyes I'm greeted with dry plants, dry dirt and dry...everything. I glance behind me at the fields of tall yellow grass. The sun makes a mirage of water off in the distance, near the line of trees leading to, I'm guessing, the wilderness. I'm standing next to Sam, whose expression is less than impressed.

The town in front of us is painted in nothing but varying shades of brown, yellow, and tan. The buildings look a little lopsided and seem to droop in the intense heat. Their old, the foundations already look questionable. How disconcerting.

The sign above us, held up by posts on either side of the road says 'Sunrise WYO.'. Trees hug one side of the town, the other is just flat plains. The road isn't really a 'road' persay...it's more of a beaten down gravel and dirt pathway with weeds springing up on the sides. I grimace to myself. Already I miss modern day society. Dean however, looks overjoyed-like a kid in a candy store. He's got this huge dopy grin on his face as he takes it all in.

"Aw now we're talkin'!" he mutters while Sam and I look around.

There's nothing in the general vicinity for miles save the town. All I can smell is manure, hay, and dirt.

"About what?" I question, "there's nothing here."

He sends me a sour look and sticks his tongue out.

"Alright, let's go find Samuel Colt," he says while Sam sets a timer on his watch.

"We should start in the saloon," Dean says excitedly, "see if the locals know anything."

I roll my eyes. He just wants to get old fashioned drunk.

"Maybe see if we can pick up some girls..."

Sam and I both give him a look. He puts his hands up in surrender.

"Kidding."

As we come into town, we see a bunch of people gathered around the gallows. I make a face at the gruesomeness of it. Four men stand up on the platform. Two are standing off to one side, by the lever that releases the trap door. Another stands proudly with his hands behind his back and the noose around his neck. The fourth has a book in his hand and is speaking loud for everyone to hear.

I grab Sam's hand in anticipation. This is...wrong. I mean, I'm no stranger to death (at least not anymore) but it's usually monsters that we hunt and whatever is left of their 'meals'. I've never had to watch someone die-at least not a human.

"We stand here today, March the fourth, 1861, to execute justice upon Elias Finch for the murder of his own wife."

My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. It's ridiculous that humans can be so carnal when there's already enough monsters in the world. Sam leads us to a better view, Dean following.

"Talk about authenticity," Sam mutters, squeezing my hand.

"This was handed down by myself, Ty Mortemor, dully appointed judge of the Wyoming Circuit. You will be hung by your neck until death."

I look around at everyone. They're completely calm, like this is an everyday thing. Maybe it is. I feel my stomach turn over uneasily at the thought.

"Got anything to say?" one of the guys on the other side of Elias asks.

"You're gonna burn for this," Elias answers ominously.

He looks at each of them in turn, a creepy smile turning up his mouth.