Chapter 2: Kristena Singer (& Castiel)

<Keira's POV>

Kristy gestures to the man behind her and threads her fingers through his. She glances at the boys before continuing.

"And this is Castiel...but we call him Cas," she adds.

I nod at them both.

"I'm Keira," I say, trying not to be awkward.

"Nice to meet you," she beams.

Castiel leans over and mutters something to her and she giggles.

"Not within the context, love," she says lowly, grinning.

He nods slightly, putting an arm around her waist.

"Keira," Sam calls, snapping me out of the strange trance watching the couples intimacy, "do you want coffee?"

"Yes please."

 I pause for a second, but I'm dying to know, so I speak up.

"What was it that attacked me last night?" I ask.

Kristy looks over at me surprised.

"You're looking pretty good for someone that got their ass kicked. I know I never looked that good," Kristy mutters with a nice smile.

She's strange. There's something a little off about her...something that can't be seen with the naked eye. It's something that's big-it sets her apart from everyone else in this room. Except Castiel. He seems to share this with her.

"It was a demon," Dean speaks up and everyone turns to stare at him.

Sam looks stricken and a little panicky. I can't help it, I burst out laughing.

"That thing was demon? Are you serious?" I scoff.

He raises an eyebrow at me and my laughter dies down. Oh...he's serious. Is he crazy? I look over at Sam, but he looks even more solemn than Dean...maybe even a little dismayed. I glance at Kristy and Castiel. Kristy looks a little surprsied, but she says nothing against Dean's words and Castiel just looks...bored.

"Oh...you're serious."

Kristy nods, her expression turning sympathetic.

"Keira," Sam says, drawing my attention, "I know this seems absolutely crazy to you...but it's true. Think about that thing last night."

"It wasn't human," I say softly, remembering the solid black eyes and otherworldly strength.

"No, it was a demon. We've been tracking it for a couple days. We got it last night, when it was attacking you," Dean says giving me a thumbs up.

"So I was bait?" I ask feeling a little insulted.

"No no no!" Sam says quickly, "we didn't think anyone was out there."

"So this means demons are real?" I ask.

I don't know if I was religious before...but I find it hard to believe that demons have been walking around all this time and I never noticed.

"Yes. They appear as black smoke and...possess people."

"So it was possessing that guy last night," I state, trying to wrap my head around this.

Sam nods.

"That's not all that's real," he adds.

"What else is there?" I ask incredulously.

"Ghosts, werewolves, vampires, the monsters in your closet," Dean says plainly.

I put a hand to my head. Already a headache is starting.