Chapter 18

A/N: Okay, so this is definitely not the "next week" I promised you guys last time, and I apologize for that, but Ruby Potter was starting to feel more like a chore than fun, and I decided to start writing a couple of other stories to bring myself into a better mood, alongside real life obligations other than my writing. I won't promise a return to the normal schedule, but I will say that I am working on the story once again. Also, the end of Volume 3 made me cry....a lot. Rest assured that if I write a sequel to this taking place over Volume 3, that it will change drastically. Anyways, back to your (not so) regularly scheduled programming, I hope you enjoy Chapter 18 of Ruby Potter!

Qrow clapped for his niece's achievements as he finished the smooth transformation from crow to human, and approached his nieces with a smile on his face. "Good job Ruby, I'm proud of you kiddo." He gave Ruby a full smile, causing his younger niece to blush slightly in response, stuttering nonchalant statements all the while.

"Wh-Why i-it w-was n-nothing, U-Uncle Qrow! A-All in a day's work!" Ruby looked to the oblivious eye to only be embarrassed, but anyone with a brain could see the pride she held with those words. Her uncle simply gripped her around the shoulders with one arm and gave her a noogie with the other, laughing at Ruby's affronted expression, he reveled in the merriment until he heard a bark. He looked over to the source of the sound and spotted a large black dog that looked rather ragged at first glance, and caused him to wonder what it was doing. The idea of it being dangerous though was thrown out the window however, when he felt Ruby slip out of his hold and watched as she hugged the dog rather tightly around the neck.

"Uh Ruby, who's the mutt?" Qrow asked, a single eyebrow raised in question. He noticed however, that the dog actually look offended at being called a mutt, something that put him on edge. The only other animal he knew could look so offended was him as a crow. This put him on guard, causing him to look over the dog with a more critical eye. Ruby smiled at her uncle however, not noticing the look he was giving the dog in front of him.

"This, Uncle Qrow, is Drei! Weiss and I found him hanging around in one of the court yards the other day! He's not as great as Zwei, but he's still awesome, aren't ya boy?" Ruby explained, before petting the dog excitedly, causing Qrow to notice that the dog- Drei, actually looked embarrassed as his leg thumped the ground when Ruby scratched just behind his ear. This made Qrow even more suspicious of the dog, he resolved to ask the Headmaster about shape shifters in this world, and kept a close eye on the dog as he played with Ruby. Qrow shuddered slightly, if this was a guy hiding as a dog, then he was probably trying to perv on his niece!

Qrow took a calming breath, Ruby could deal with a single dog, or wizard as the case may be, easily. She was strong, and these wizards were pathetically weak when it came to fighting anyone physically. If he was perving on his niece and teammate though, Qrow wouldn't be held responsible for whatever he did to him, even after Yang finished with the poor guy.

Shaking his head, Qrow ruffled Ruby's hair one more time, sending suspicious looks at the dog all the while before speaking up once again. "Well Ruby, Yang, I hate to be the one to break it to ya, as riveting as this tournament and the long wait between tasks is, but I've gotta be headin' off to deal with more of those, 'you know whats' before the end of this thing, I'll try to be here for the final task, but no guarantees I'm afraid." He saw Yang nod, and Ruby give him thumbs up before he gave them both a final hug and headed off to the Headmaster's office, he had memories to watch, and questions to ask.

Qrow shook his head, when did his life get so damn weird?

In his dog form, Sirius shivered slightly. He had seen the other animagus, his goddaughter's Uncle Qrow, look at him, he was onto him, and if he didn't expose himself to Ruby soon, then she might get the wrong idea. He hoped for his sake that she would listen to him, rather than immediately try to kill him, not that he didn't deserve it, but that scythe was far too sharp for his liking. He shook himself out of his reverie when he heard Ruby calling for him.