8

[Harry]

"I just can't believe Elli's birthday is coming up so soon!" Nicole sighs before taking a sip of tea.

We sit inside a small diner with her friend Jennifer, waiting for our checks to arrive. Jennifer smiles at Nicole and messes with the empty packet of Splenda sugar.

"Yeah, it's on Wednesday. I was thinking of making a little birthday party at Chuck E Cheese or something with a small group of her friends and family," I explain.

They both nod in encouragement. "I think she'd like that," Nicole says and pauses before adding, "I'll be right back."

She slides out of the booth and walks to the bathroom, leaving me alone with her friend.

"So, what are you doing for Nicole?" Jennifer questions.

I raise my eyebrows, "what do you mean?"

"For her birthday? It's also on Wednesday." She looks confused before saying, "did she not tell you?"

I shake my head. "No, why wouldn't she?"

Jennifer mumbles something under her breath before sighing heavily. She rests her chin on her palm while looking out the window.

"Nicole's the type of person who doesn't want to bother people; she doesn't want to intrude or annoy. She loves making others happy, even if she isn't so much." Jennifer pauses before glancing at me for a moment, then resumes gazing out at the dreary sky. "She really likes you, Harry. And since you have Elli, she doesn't want you to worry about her."

I rub the back of my neck and shake my head. "I knew she was the type to think of others first, but I didn't know she'd go this far."

"I didn't either; what should we do?" She asks.

"I just want to make her smile, I want her to know that she deserves to be happy. She deserves everything to make her happy and yet I can't think of one thing to do for her that's good enough."

Jennifer perks up while saying she has an idea. Just before Nicole gets back to the table, she describes her plan that ended up being the perfect idea.

[Nicole] - Wednesday

I'm woken up with my phone ringing. Groaning, I force my eyes open and squint from the change of light. Reaching my hand over to my bedside table, I search for the buzzing device.

Of course I knock everything over in the process but find my phone and answer it groggily. "Hello?"

"Hey babe! I need a huge favor from you, do you think you can do it?" Harry asks loudly.

"Sure, what is it?"

Harry mumbles something and says, "well, in order for this to be a surprise for Elli I need her to be out of the house. Could you watch over her today and bring her to the address I'll text you this evening?"

"Yeah, of course." I agree, rubbing my forehead.

"Great! I'll be up in a few minutes."

"Wait, you're already-" I begin saying before he hangs up.

I rush to the bathroom and wash my face, brush my hair and teeth. Then I return to my bedroom and change into sweat pants and put on a bra and a random t shirt as a knock comes from the door.

"Come in!" I yell, pulling my hair into a small pony tail.

I walk into the living room as Harry puts Elli on the couch. He puts her bag of toys and other things on the kitchen counter while I say hello to Elli.