6

[ Nicole ]

"You guys kissed?" Jen screams excitedly.

Darcy shakes her head at our overdramatic friend while Katie claps slowly. We receive multiple glares from the people around us for being loud but I almost don't care, I'm too happy.

"He's got moves," Katie grins at me.

I blush and turn my attention to the TV hanging from the bar. Some football game was on and many drunken men were screaming way louder than Jennifer.

"Have you guys talked since?" Darcy questions me.

I shrug, "a little here and there."

She just nods and looks to the TV as well. I could tell something was off with her, ever since I told them about the kiss she's been quiet. Katie begins raving to Jen about some guy from work while I continue to wonder about what's wrong with Darcy.

"Why are you staring at me?" She chuckles lightly with a half smile on her lips.

"Are you upset with me?" I ask.

Jennifer and Katie stop chattering, their eyes glued to Darcy once I spoke.

Darcy's expression was unreadable. A frown settled on her mouth and her eyebrows furrowed together as she thinks of a response.

"Is it Harry?" I add.

She hesitates before saying, "yes and no."

Katie glances to Jen, who wore a clear what the hell look.

"Why? You haven't even met him, you can't-"

"Nicole, you barely know the guy. You also just got out of a long-term relationship, I just don't think it's smart to use this dude as a rebound." Darcy says quickly.

"He is not a rebound. And the guy I was with cheated on me, why shouldn't I move on?" My voice begins to raise the more frustrated I grew.

Darcy sighs. "This is why I didn't want to say anything."

"But that's only how you feel, you weren't cheated on-"

"No, I wasn't. But you told Thomas you'd wait for him, you'd think about it. That's why you're here, to think about him." Darcy says sternly.

I glare at her, knowing on some level she was right. Katie coughs and sips on her drink quietly while Jen stares with wide eyes at me.

"Look, I am thinking about Thomas." I mutter.

She shakes her head. "No, you're thinking about Harry. I support you and him, I just think you should take time to heal and talk things over with Thomas beforehand. He's waiting for your response, Nic."

"Well, I'm not ready to give one." I grumble.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to ruin your happiness." Darcy touches my arm gently.

I sigh heavily. "I know, and you're right. Look, I'll see you guys later."

I grab my bag and hurry out of the restaurant alone. I honestly forgot completely about Thomas due to Harry.

Once I get home, I plop onto my couch and groan loudly. I kick off my converse and pick at the fabric of my jeans.

The sound of my phone ringing causes me to jump. After fishing it out of my dump purse, I click answer.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Nic." Harry's soothing voice replies.

A smile instantly spreads across my lips. "Hi, Harry."

Then memories from lunch pop into my mind and I sigh as my smile fades.

"What's wrong?" He asks, clear concern in his voice.

I move to lay down on the couch as I say, "it's just been a rough day."

"Aw, I'm sorry. Is there anything I could do to make you feel better?"

"You could come over and bring ice cream." I say jokingly.

"Elli's with my mom for the night, I could come over." I could almost see the mischievous grin on his face.

"Well, I guess it'd be okay," I laugh a little.

"I'll be over with some ice cream as soon as I can," he promises.

We say goodbye and hang up soon after. I get up and quickly hurry into my bedroom. I grab a pair of cute pj pants and a Rolling Stones t-shirt to change in.

I figured I didn't have time to shower, so I brush out my hair and wipe off the days makeup from my face. After changing, I brush my teeth and walk back into the living room to tidy up until Harry arrived.

Of course, as soon as I sat down Harry knocks on the door. I run my fingers through my hair before opening the door.

Who actually stood there was a surprise I didn't see coming.

"You're not Harry," I mutter.