Chapter 17

I know, I know. I am the worst updater EVER. I am aware. And I am really really sorry! I just had a brainfreeze. I hit a wall. I had writers block, whatever you want to call it. I had it. But I have updated! At long last. So. This is just a short one. A sort of filler. I'm trying to show how Cyris' relationship with the dragons is strengthening. Comment if I did a good job :)

I hope you like. Thanks to all who have added to reading list, commented, or become my fan :) You know who you are and you make me SMILE :D Anywho...

ENJOY!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Seventeen

Two days later, I was relaxing on the ground in the cave. We would be going out to war in two days. Two days. The dragons didn’t want me to come, they wanted me safe at home, but I put my foot down. I was coming. And that was that. We had all agreed on a few days rest though. We all needed it. Despite my ‘OH SNAP’ episode the other day, I still felt like there was something missing. Frowning, I stood, and went to sit over by Viridus. Her calming presence was soothing. Almost just on instinct, I started stroking her emerald scales softly, right between her silvery horns. She purred, and I chuckled.

But then, a thought came to me, and my frown was back.

“Hey Arge?” I asked softly.

Yes Cyrissa?’ He replied, looking over at me from the other side of the cave. He had taken to calling me Cyrissa – my name in Loquela Draconis. I smiled at him, and then spoke my question quietly.

“Do you happen to know the date?”

Arge’s expression turned thoughtful. I could see he was working something out in his head.

I believe it is the seventeenth day of the ninth month. Why?’ He answered finally.

My eyes widened. The 17th of September? But that means…

“OH MY GOSH!”

Four horned heads turned towards me, with Viridus looking a bit put out that I had stopped stroking her to disturb her relaxing time. However, I hardly noticed that. I was too preoccupied with grinning like a madman.

You ARE mad, Cy. Now please don’t make a habit of yelling out exclamations. My ears hurt. So. What is it?’ Laina asked me calmly after a few seconds.

I blushed. Whoops. I hadn’t realised I was projecting my thoughts. I was too preoccupied with thinking about…

“I’M TURNING 22 IN 2 DAYS!” I screamed.

All the dragons winced.

“Sorry.” I said, blushing again.

I take it you are excited then.’ Ru said carefully.

“HELL YES! YOU ONLY TURN 22 ONCE!!!!” I yelled again. “Well, most of the time…” I added thoughtfully. My eyes zoned out from the scene in front of me. They were all giving Ru glares for getting me to yell again. I didn’t care. Because I realised something else too. The dragons had started talking amongst themselves – speaking in Loquela Draconis so I couldn’t understand them. I caught my name – Cyrissa – every once in a while. All this a little part of me noticed but couldn’t care less.

“We’re going out to war on my birthday.” I said quietly. It wasn’t a question. Just a statement. The dragons stopped and looked at me, guilty expressions on their faces.

I’m so sorry Cyris, we could do it the day after? Or before-

“No.” I cut Viridus off. “We have to do it as soon as possible. We’ve already put it off longer than we should have but we needed rest. I know it. You know it. And it’s okay. I understand.”

I turned, trying to hide the tears that leaked through my eyes.

“Goodnight.” I mumbled to them.

Goodnight, Cyrissa.’ Argentum murmured behind me. I didn’t react. I just lay down on the little yoga mat we had gotten from my apartment the other day, and closed my eyes.

Little did I know, that when I awoke, I would be covered with a rainbow of leathery wings and warm scales.