Chapter 5

Chapter Five

I was crying uncontrollably. I wanted to get out of there. I needed to get out of there! So I went to the only place other than my apartment that I knew I was welcome at.

By the time my tears stopped, I could clearly see the Ancient Antiques sign. I ran the rest of the way and shoved open the door.

“Bob! I need to talk to you! Bob!” I called out.

There was no answer.

I frowned. Bob was usually at the door as soon as I called.

“Bob?” I asked, slightly more hesitant this time.

I walked through the store, calling out all the time for my old friend.

And then I saw something that made the tears start harder than ever.

Bob was lying on the floor, blood streaming from his chest. His face was pale and lifeless.

“No!” I managed to choke out. I fell to my knees beside the only friend I had ever had, in all my 22 and a half years. And I stayed there, crying my eyes out, for I don’t know how long.

After a while though, my tears ran out. And the feeling of sadness was replaced with anger.

It was all the dragons fault! If they hadn’t kept me there I could have protected him! I could have stopped his attacker! And now look what happened. Bob was murdered! It wasn’t fair!

Deep down I knew it was irrational. I knew that it wasn’t their fault at all. But I needed to take my anger out on something. And they were the only thing I could think of. I carefully let go of Bob’s body, which I had hugged unconsciously while I was crying, and went over to the phone. I dialled 911 as fast as I could, and got an ambulance and police. I managed to avoid any personal details about myself, apart from my first name: Cyris.

As soon as that was done, I bent down and kissed the forehead of the man who had been like a father to me.

“Goodbye Bob.” I whispered.

And then I was out the door, running back to my house with the sound of sirens behind me.