chapter sixteen

The sunlight flooding in through my windows woke me up the next morning. “Ughh,” I grumbled, rubbing my eyes. I had fell asleep in the clothes I’d had on yesterday, and I felt stiff and tired. I sat up on the side of my bed, throwing the covers off of me that I must have crawled underneath of sometime during the night, even though I didn’t remember doing so. I glanced over at my alarm clock, and it read 8:46AM. Church would be starting in a little over an hour.

Suddenly, the events from last night rushed back into my memory. I sat on my bed, relishing the memory of me and Jared’s talk last night. I still couldn’t quite grasp that we had actually talked about having sex, but I hadn’t been lying when I said that I wanted to, in so many words. Since I had met him, my mind and heart had been in agreement that he was ‘the one.’ I knew that if I said anything to anyone, other than maybe Jessica, that people would think I was just being silly. Just another teenage girl in the midst of puppy love. But to me it was more than that. So much more. I had never been more sure of anything in my entire life.

I walked across the soft carpet of my bedroom floor, and onto the cold linoleum of our bathroom. I turned on the hot water in the sink, letting it run for a few seconds. I splashed the water onto my face, and dried it with a towel. Feeling a little more awake now, I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a bowl and spoon, and then the box of Cheerios from the cupboard. I poured some in the bowl, and then retrieved the milk from the refrigerator. Dumping some milk over the top of the cereal, I replaced the lid, and then returned the milk to its shelf. I was sitting down at our dining room table, munching quietly on my cold breakfast when my mom walked in from her bedroom. 

“Hey there, sleepy head. I was wondering if you were going to wake up on time,” she stopped next to where I was sitting, and kissed the top of my head. She walked into the kitchen, still fiddling with her earring, and then poured herself a cup of coffee.

“Yeah, I guess I was just really tired,” I called, through bites of cereal.

“Hmm. That trip must have really worn you out,” she replied from the kitchen. I glanced over and saw her stirring her coffee with a spoon through the doorway. I didn’t say anything in response, just continued eating my breakfast.

“Hey there,” my dad said, also walking into the dining room from his room. He was messing with his tie, trying to get it tied just right. I had decided long ago that tying a tie was an acquired art, mastered by few.

“Hey,” I answered, smiling. I stood up, grabbing my now empty bowl from the table and carried them to the kitchen sink. 

“Hurry and get dressed. We don’t want to be late,” my dad said, pouring his own cup of coffee. Sam was at our grandparent’s house in our old town. He loved staying on Saturday nights with grandma and grandpa. Mom and Dad would probably go pick him up sometime this afternoon.

I walked into my room, and pulled open the closet doors. I pulled out a thin, knee length yellow and blue flowered skirt, and a short sleeved yellow top. I slipped on some white dress sandals and went to the bathroom to finish getting ready. Jared and our conversation from the night before on my mind the entire time. 

****

Inside the sanctuary, we were about three quarters of the way through the service. The only thing I could think of was Jared and what his surprise after church might be. I felt a little guilty for not paying attention, and just ‘going through the motions’ of the service, but I couldn’t really help it. Especially when Jared and his family were sitting less than twenty feet away from us, and we kept stealing glances at each other.

****

After church, we drove home and I went inside to change into something a little more comfortable.