chapter twenty three

Tonight was finally the night. Prom night. I had an appointment to get my nails done (for the first time ever in my life) at eleven, and then another appointment to get my hair done at three. There was an electricity buzzing through me from the excitement. I couldn’t wait to see Jared later in his tux.

My dad let me borrow his car to get my nails done, and afterwards I stopped by Jessica’s house while I waited for three to roll around.

“Gosh, those are so pretty!” Jessica exclaimed as I held my hand out for her to admire my fresh manicure. “They did a great job on them!” she continued to gush.

“Thanks,” I replied a little sheepishly. I wasn’t really big on getting dressed up and being a ‘girly-girl,’ but it was no holds barred on Prom Night.

“Have you seen Jared’s tux yet?” Jessica asked as we sat at her kitchen table sipping on sodas.

“No, he said it was just your standard, run of the mill black tux. He’s picking it up today sometime,” I informed her. Jared had still been acting funny. I don’t think it would’ve been as noticeable if he hadn’t been trying so hard to act like there wasn’t anything that he was hiding.

“You guys are going to look absolutely stunning tonight! I can’t wait to see pictures!” Jessica exclaimed, a huge smile plastered on her face. I smiled in response, and took a sip from my soda.

“You know,” I began, tracing the top of the Pepsi can with the end of my finger, “I think he’s hiding something.”

“What do you mean?” Jessica asked, looking at me with concern in her features.

“Oh, not anything bad, I’m sure,” I rushed, quickly assuring her that I didn’t think that he was cheating or anything absurd like that. “I just think there’s something he’s not telling me. Something that he’s planning or… something, I don’t know, exactly. Like, I know it’s there, whatever ‘it’ is, but I’m clueless as to what it could actually be,” I confessed.

“Oh…” Jessica replied, in thought, “So like a surprise?” she asked.

“Um, yeah. He’s not very good at hiding the  fact that there is a surprise, but he’s excellent at hiding what it could possibly be,” I said, thinking.

“So you’re totally clueless then?” Jessica asked. I nodded, and took a final sip from my soda.

“Oh, I better go,” I said. I stood up and walked over to the trashcan and tossed my soda can in it. “I’ll talk to you later,” I added, turning to give Jessica a hug.

“Alright. I expect to see lots of pictures,” she said, smiling.

“Of course!” I promised as I walked out onto her front porch, shutting the front door gently behind me.

****