chapter two.

I came in through the back door, into our enclosed back porch and makeshift laundry room. Going through the door, up the few stairs, and into the kitchen, I stopped and poured myself a glass of cold tea from the refrigerator.  

"We got tacos instead of burgers," Mom called from the dining room that was off of the kitchen.  

"Oh, okay," I answered between gulps. My mind was still in a daze, and my belly was still doing random flip flops when I remembered the swift, soft kiss from Jared on my hand. I walked absentmindedly into the dining room and fished a taco out of the bag on our recently cleared off dining room table. Sitting down in the chair closest to me, I stared at the far wall, seeing nothing but the park scene replaying in my head. 

"Are you okay? Did you get heat stroke or something?"  

I snapped back to reality and saw my dad looking over at me, concern written all over his features. 

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine. Just....thinking," I answered. The taco was tasteless, and I set it down on its wrapper on the table. "Um, I'm not really hungry right now. Save me a couple, and maybe I'll be hungry later. I'm going to my room to lay down for a while," I said, standing up. 

"Okay, honey, sure." My mother looked just as concerned and worried as my father did. Sam, in his booster sit, was oblivious, picking away at his dinner. Walking into my room, I spread out across the comforter and closed my eyes. Jared's face instantly appeared, wearing the smile he had right before he left the park. It already seemed like it had happened an eternity ago, and opening my eyes to look at my alarm clock on my desk, I realized that it had really only been about twenty minutes.  

"Ughh," I sighed aloud. Maybe a shower would help. But, suddenly, every muscle in my body was unable to move, worn out from exhaustion and the excitement of the day. I was asleep before I knew it. 

My phone ringing woke me up. Seeing now that it was pitch black outside my windows, I looked at the alarm clock and realized I had been asleep for over two hours.  

"Hello?" I asked. I hadn't even bothered to glance at the caller ID before answering.  

"Hey, Tiff. You sound sleepy," Jessica's voice came from the other end. 

"Oh, I must've just....dozed off," I answered, rubbing my eyes and stretching. "So, what's up?" I asked. 

"Oh, nothing. Mom left to go to dinner with Ted, so I thought I'd give you a call and see how things are going," she answered. 

"Pretty good. I met someone today," I informed her. She would be all about hearing the juicy details. 

"Oh, yeah? Like a male someone?" I could hear the smile in her voice already. 

"Well, yeah, actually. His name's Jared," I said.  

"Details, woman! Fill me in!" Jessica demanded. So I did. When I finished the part about him kissing my hand and then leaving the park, I thought Jessica was going to totally flip on me. 

"Oh my gosh!!!" she screeched, "That's so exciting!!"  

"Yeah, but it all happened so fast, it doesn't even seem real," I confessed. 

"Are you going to see him again? I mean, he already told you where he lives. That's practically an invitation!" I think Jessica was more mesmerized by Jared than I had been. Than I was. 

"I don't know," I siad, laughing. We talked for awhile longer about what was going on in my old hometown (nothing), and who was dating whom (same as when I left.).  

"I got to go. I need a shower. There's church in the morning. It'll be our first service at this new place," I said. 

"Oh, okay. Talk to you later. Let me know if you see or talk to him again!" Jessica replied. I promised that I would, and then hit 'end' on my phone and took a long, hot shower. After my shower I was starving, and devoured three cold tacos in seconds.