Chapter 8

"The council?" Akira asked. Her forehead wrinkled.

"A group of men enlisted to help make decisions," Brandon answered. "At the moment, they hold the authority over the Lands. They'll be able to explain everything in detail."

From where she stood, Hannah only nodded in agreement, not bothering to contribute anything else to the conversation.

Akira felt suspicion rise up inside her. She had never heard of this council before. "Why can't you and Redemption just tell me what I want to know?"

"I think it would just be better if the council told you," Brandon replied calmly.

"I'm not asking the council. I'm asking Ree–"

Just go see the council, Akira, Destiny calmly spoke in Akira's mind.

"While they are eager to meet you, I normally wouldn't rush a meeting with them like this. You've only just come to the Academy, after all. But as it's important that you are made aware of...certain things. So I'm afraid this can't wait. Besides, I'm sure you would rather have your questions answered today than wait until tomorrow." Brandon offered her a smile.

Akira nodded. Brandon was right. "Where are they?" she asked wondering on which floor of the Academy they were staying. Just thinking of having to use the lift made her feel queasy all over again

Brandon smiled. "Not here. They are at Dragon Mountain. It's where they gather lately to discuss matters."

"And where exactly is this Dragon Mountain?" Akira asked. It was another thing she hadn't heard of before.

"That," Brandon began as a smile twitched at the edge of his lips, "you'll find out soon enough. However, you can only get there by dragon."

At this Akira turned to look expectantly at Redemption. There was a smug look in her dragon's eyes as he lowered his head so that his nose was close to her face. I need the secret word to take you.

Akira glared at him. "Grow up."

Just one word, six letters, Redemption sang. The white dragon was having fun.

Akira growled. "Ree, sometimes you act like a draglin!" she accused.

Says the child, Redemption replied calmly as his tail swished back and forth.

"I...you..." Akira searched for a comeback. She found none. "Fine," she finally grumbled.

Say it nicely.

Akira took a deep breath to calm down. "Please," she said softly.

Please what? Redemption asked sweetly. He cocked his head as though this action would help him hear the answer better.

"Please can you take me to Dragon Mountain to see the council?" Akira gave in to Redemption's game.

Brandon, who had been watching the scene with amusement, chuckled while Hannah only shook her head, a smile tugging at the edge of her lips. Though they were both only able to hear part of the conversation, they could guess what was going on from what Akira was saying.

Well, since you put it so nicely, Redemption said in satisfaction.

Akira simply rolled her eyes.

"We had better get going," Brandon spoke up as he seemed to realize that Akira and Redemption were done arguing.

"We?" Akira stopped glaring at Redemption and turned to face Brandon I surprise. "You're coming with us?"