Chapter Eleven: Consequences

I wake up in the morning as my alarm clock goes off! I forgot to turn my stupid alarm for school off but I'm still not going in to school, even if it is the day of the big art presentation it will be too awkward to have to present that picture with Peeta after that kiss last night... I'm still not sure how I feel about the kiss or Peeta, it's just as though things moved too quickly between us, one minute we're enemies and then the next his lips are on mine... still I feel bad about making him drive home at half past one in the stupid morning, right now it's only around 7 o'clock and it took me a while to fall to sleep so I've only had a couple of hours... oh well I have the rest of the day to make that up.

I lie back down after stopping the alarm clock from going off and get ready to get back to sleep.

Just as I get comfortable and feel myself starting to drift off again which has taken an hour or so I hear someone banging

on the door, I lift one of my pillows up and put my head between both of my pillows in the hope that who ever is downstairs

will just leave and come back some other time but after five minutes they are still outside and the banging is starting to

seriously annoy me!

I practically drag myself out of bed and down the stairs, nice to see my mother didn't bother getting up even though I'm supposed to be in school and she doesn't know that I'm not.

"Okay! Calm down! I'm coming, I'm coming!" The pounding on the door stops and I grab the keys and swing the door open to reveal someone who at a first glance I thought was Peeta but when I look properly I notice that the man is quite a bit older than Peeta, he gives me a small smile when he sees me buthe looks tired and as though he's had less sleep than me.

"Is it Katniss?"I nod,

"It is and I'm guessing that you are Mr Mellark?" He nods his head,

"I called the school but you weren't there so I came here to talk to you instead. I don't know if you know but last night, well technically this morning, Peeta was involved in a serious car accident." His mouth continues to move but after that sentence I hear none of what he says.

I knew I should have argued more with Peeta about how late it was and how he should have just slept on the couch and driven home early in the morning before I woke up! It was dark outside and his head was all over the place after the kiss! If anything terrible has happened to him then I will never ever forgive myself! I shouldn't have lead him on by kissing him back!

What makes everything worse is that he was in a car crash like Prim and my Father and, well... me so I know how horrible the experience can be, especially with the flashbacks, you don't know when they will hit you it can be any time and you can be in any place...

********FLASHBACK********

"Daddy! You're going the wrong way to the school!" Prim giggles in the front of the car where my Dad sits singing along to the radio, he stops singing to answer Prim,

"No I'm not. I'm taking you a special way because you are my two special girls!"

"Why Dad?, What's so special about this way?"

"It goes past the lake and the lake house. One day I'll take you two girls there and you can swim like I taught you to Katniss but that was nearer to home and Prim I'll teach you how to swim like I did with Katniss. And Katniss you can hunt a little with your bow and arrow if you'd like."

Me and Prim get really excited,and my Father chuckles at our excitement and in that moment of happiness we all fail to see the car come speeding from one of the narrow roads which lead onto this little country road, the car hits the front of our pick up truck and all we can do is scream as the car makes impact with ours and the front of the car is crushed and darkness takes over.,.