Chapter Ten: Katniss Mellark

I quickly break away from the kiss. After I realize what is happening that is. I put my hands on either side of my head and I lean back in my chair. What is happening? We hated each other 4 weeks ago and now I'm kissing him? No, this isn't happening. Peeta is looking down at his hands and I glance at the clock. 1:30. It's so late.
"I'm sorry Katniss." He says.
"It's um, it's okay. Are we done with the project?" I ask, trying to distract both of us from the kiss.
"Yeah, we are." He starts picking up his art supplies. He picks up the artwork.
"You can still stay here if you want." I offer.
"No, I better just go home." He looks at the floor. I can tell he is uncomfortable because of what happened and to be honest I am too. But it's 1:30 a.m. and he shouldn't have to drive home. I'm sure he is tired. But it's obvious he wants to leave. So I let him without pushing the subject.
"Okay, would you like me to turn in the project tomorrow or you?" He asks. He already holds it in his hands.
"You can. I trust you to bring it anyways." He nods. I open the door for him, helping him take the things to his car. Then he takes off without saying goodbye. And that's when I really start thinking about the kiss. I mean, we have only just started to become friends again. He has surely changed since when we were kids. Something I remember when we were kids, before things went bad, was me and him playing on the playground. I can't be sure, but I think it was Annie who also played with us. I smile at the memory of one day that Annie married Peeta and I. That was when we were about five years old.
~FLASHBACK~
The school bell rings for outside play time. I always loved recess. I run to the monkey bars, jumping past the first one but grabbing the second, swinging in the air with my feet going up high. This was the play time before the end of the day. And my father would come pick me up. I couldn't wait to see him after a very exhausting day of adding numbers and coloring. I feel someone grab my left leg, and then my right leg. I'm pulled of the monkey bars and I land in the stones with my two friends. Annie and Peeta.
"Why did you do that?" I ask.
"Because we need to do something!" Annie say. "Peeta has something to ask you." Annie smiles.
"Annie! Shh!" Peeta says, glaring at Annie.
"Come on tell me!" I wine.
"No, come with us." Annie says, making up for her mistake. I am so confused.Anyways, we stood up and walked over across the playground to the tunnel slide. No one ever played over here. I'm not sure why, so no one is here now. We stand at the top of the slide, and he went down on one knee. What the heck?
"Katniss will you marry me?" He asks. He pulled out a toy ring. Not like the candy ring pops, but something that you could get in the check out lines at the store. I took the little ring and held it in my hands. It has a flower in the middle made of a shiny plastic.
"Sure why not." I say, he stood up and hugged me. He pulled out another ring, except it didn't have a flower on it, and he handed it to Annie. I gave her mine too.
"So, Peeta do you wanna marry Katniss?" She asked. He nodded.
"Yes. Very much." He held both of my hands.
"Katniss do you wanna marry Peeta?"
"Yes please."
"Then put these rings on." she gave my ring to Peeta and Peeta's to me. I slid his on his finger and he slid mine on my finger.
"You can kiss her now." Annie said to Peeta. He grabs my shoulders, and pulled my face close, kissing my cheek.
"Okay, you are married. Honeymoon time." She said.
"Where?"
"Down the slide." Peeta sat at the top of the slide. I sat in his lap and we slid down together. At the bottom of the tunnel, we stood up. The bell rang again and everyone started to line up.
"I love you Katniss." Peeta says hugging me. I hug him back. We ran for the line when Annie came down the slide, and we went to our classroom. After collecting our bags, we all waited by the door for our parents. It's my fathers day to pick me up so when he got here, I ran to him and jumped in his arms.
"Hey honey, how was school?" He asked.
"It was great! I got married!" I say excited. He sets me down and Peeta came up beside me.
"Oh you did? And is this the lucky man?" He looked at Peeta. I take Peeta's hand and my dad's.
"It sure is! You two are the most important guys in my life." I say. I see Peeta smile and shake my dads hand.
"Well, to such a nice young man, I approve." My dad said. So I was officially Katniss Mellark.
~FLASHBACK OVER~
The clock says 1:55 am, and I know I need to sleep. But I can't help think of what my dad says. I'm sure he was only humoring us, I mean we were 5. But what if he did approve of Peeta? With some people you can tell that young how they will be. And I was wrong about Peeta to be honest. He wasn't saying those things someone else was. Did my dad know how Peeta would turn out? He was around for awhile and Peeta came home with me sometimes. My dad tried to calm me down and comfort me when I thought Peeta was gone forever, and he died not knowing the truth. So did Prim. The tears threaten to spill over my eyes but I hold them back. I stand from the couch and make my way to my room. I don't think my dad knew how Peeta would turn out. And now he never will. I sigh, getting in bed. I'm going to skip school tomorrow, and give myself some time to think.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Short chapter! Sorry! Hope you all liked it!

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK! :D

~Hannah