Chapter 32

The Queens stayed at the Elephant Terrace until noon, but Amarisa left quite early and did not join our lunch at the Pavilion. I was sad and had a gnawing feeling that her leaving had something to do with me.

I did my other routines around the encampment throughout the evening with no hint of joy. My avatar friends thought I was upset over what had happened with Issarak earlier, and I didn't have the heart to tell them otherwise.

When I was in the stable, making sure Pisey was comfortable with her new life on earth, a palace maid appeared to me. She handed me a small palm leaf and bowed away. I stared at it in wonder and flipped the stiff brown leaf open. Some elegant letterings were scribbled over it.

It was a note I later realized, but even with a great concentration, I could only decipher one word, which was 'tonight'. Still, the message didn't make any sense. I thought of asking Tepi for help but decided against it.

"My lady?" Kesar's sweet voice called me from behind. "Are you ready to get back to the Palace?"

I turned to her, weighing the option in my mind.

"What's the matter?" she said, staring at me. Her eyes drifted to my hand, which was holding the letter. "Something bothers you, my lady?"

I nodded at last.

"This talking leaf," I said with a helpless shrug and gave the note to her. "Can you tell me what it says?"

She took it in her hand and read it for a moment. A confused look registered on her face but soon it cleared away. She turned to me again with a small smile.

"The message merely says, 'the Asoak Garden tonight'."

My heart did a somersault for I now knew who had sent it. Kesar seemed to read my expression and returned the note to me.

"I think you ought to go," she said in a knowing tone. "She must have something important to tell you."

Kesar tried to smile, but her eyes were dimmed and dull. It was unthinkable that I did not touch her and hold her again and tell her I loved her, too. But I was deeply in love with the princess, and I must keep her ever in my heart.

Kesar understood without me saying a word. She turned away, but I wrapped my arms around her from behind and we stood there in silence.

We both knew that no word felt right.

~*~

The sky was a pale violet dome as the sun was gone. The stars were small and faint through the dark clouds. As my feet kept moving towards the hidden garden, I sniffed the air, which was filled with fragrance. I felt extra clean and fresh. Kesar had helped me get dressed and ready. She tied my messy blonde hair neatly and anointed my skin.

I almost reached the mouth of the lively haven, but a troop of palace guards came to block my path.

"Where are you going, strange girl?" they asked.

"I'm going to the Asoak Garden," I said nervously.

"No one can enter the sacred garden. Don't you know the rule?" one of the men said.

They came to grab my arms, intending to steer me away from my destination.

"Wait, wait!" I said. "I have permission!"

"No one is permitted there," the same man said. "The place is unspoiled and only for the holy beings."

"Well, then you must let me go because I am the holy being," I said out of desperation.

They turned to each other with a questioning look. Suddenly, another guard came running to us. He spoke to the others.

"She is friends with the avatars. Are you dumb?" he hissed. "We should allow her access or our heads would be gone tomorrow."