Chapter 43

It had been many days without a word from the princess. I decided to stop hoping. Kesar filled the wooden bathtub with fragrant warm water. Petals of red roses and white jasmine floated over the rippling surface.

Since I had let no other handmaidens bathe me, Kesar was the only one who was there to assist me.

She was now crouching behind my back and gently scrubbing my shoulders with a soaked cloth.

I closed my eyes, concentrating on the circular motions of Kesar's hand on my skin. She did not say a word as she worked.

Then Kesar came around the tub and lifted my right arm from the water. I opened my eyes again and watched her brush the cloth ever so gently as if she was trying not to disturb my mind. My body was already flushed from the warmth of the bath.

I stared at Kesar's tiny slim fingers and the gush of water that flowed through them. Her dark brown eyes always seemed to avoid my gaze. I looked at her face, her rosy lips and sad twinkling eyes. She was the only one who stayed by my side when I needed her.

"Kesar," I found myself speaking again. The maiden turned her face to me at last.

"Yes, my lady?"

"Please."

The words just came out of nowhere, but I didn't bother to take them back for I had meant it. Kesar had a shocked expression on her face. Her mouth was slightly ajar as she stared back at me.

"I...I beg your pardon?" Her hands stopped moving.

"Get into the bath with me," I said again. "Now, please."

Kesar looked at me like I was a different person. I wondered whether she was right. But all the same, she didn't seem to decline entirely.

"Kesar," I said, eyes still kept staring at the maiden until she finally nodded with a red blush.

She stood up and started to turn around, but I reached out of the water and grabbed her wrist.

"No, here," I told her slowly. Kesar blushed harder than any time I had ever seen her, but I still strongly demanded with my eyes.

The maiden bit her bottom lip and began to undress once I released her hand. I watched her shedding off all her layers of fine silk garment and undid her long flowing hair from the bun. It flowed like water down her back.

Once her glorious body was bare, her hands went to cover her beautifully formed breasts and private in shyness. I watched her stood there with steady eyes. Kesar was a different kind of beauty.

"Come in," I said to her, holding my hand out, which she gingerly took.

Kesar looked anywhere but my face. She raised her shapely leg over the edge of the tub and stepped into the gentleness of the lukewarm water with me.

The waves rippled, brimming to the edges. The flowers quickly surrounded her submerged nakedness.

I grabbed the cloth that floated by us and went to her. Kesar lifted her eyes to meet mine, and her cheeks reddened even more.

My hands went out and wordlessly turned Kesar around. I started scrubbing lightly over her smooth small back. Her skin was soft as it brushed against the tips of my fingers.

Kesar stayed quiet and still as I bathed her, yet I could hear her breathing.

As we sat in the bathtub, I pulled Kesar against my bare chest. Her breath hitched. I stroked along her arm with my other hand and went over to her side and then down her flat belly. I could feel her heart pound. Her shortened breath became loud when my fingers moved lower inch by inch.