Chapter 40

Tepi lost the duel. She didn't look happy about it, but she didn't look sad either.

"You think she's alright?" I whispered to Tusita during the break.

"With that calm face, I'm not sure," she said. We let Tepi be for a while, but I knew she was a strong girl and would pull herself back together eventually.

Then the Guru called for our attention again. Samudra cracked his knuckles and rolled his neck ready to go.

Queen Indradevi came to give a brief speech for the next round.

"I can see there have been noticeable improvements," she spoke with an appreciative smile. "You have shown interesting skills and fought bravely, young Avatars. May the gods be with you for the next duel."

The Guru raised his hand as a signal to start another battle.

"Vorac, daughter of Chandra, the Moon God, Lord of the Night, Bearer of Inspirations and Giver of Strength. You shall duel with Vijay, son of Marutas, Celestial Warriors of the King of Gods, Guardian of the Chalice of Amrita."

A member of Issarak's team walked into the field. I had seen Vijay during the flying lesson, but never really known him. He was built with broad shoulders like a bull and stood tall as a mountain. He wore a golden helmet and breastplate and was armed with two shiny golden axes. When he opened his mouth with a roar, he sounded like a lion and his teeth were iron.

Tusita told me Vijay was born from the holy energy of twenty-seven heavenly warriors called the Marutas. They were celestial companions of her father Indra. They were destructive storm gods who lash the world from end to end, making the mountains rock and reel. They used their axes to split open the clouds so that rain could fall.

"Shouldn't he be on your side instead of Issarak's then?" I said.

"Well, his strength is obviously not intelligence, that's the only explanation," Tusita said. "And my girl is going to teach him a lesson."

I looked back at Vijay and grimaced. How I never ran into him in the encampment was a miracle. Before I got to worry about Vorac, she merely leaned in for another kiss from Tusita and then stepped into the arena.

"Aren't you worried about her?" I asked Tusita, who didn't seem to be at all anxious.

"I have full confidence in my beloved bunny," she said with a smile. "Don't worry about her, Nikita. This girl is highly gifted."

I wanted to ask how that could be possible not to worry when Vorac's opponent was twice her size.

The two avatars stood their ground until the conchs were blown and the bronze gong was struck.

Then the fight started.

The Moon God's daughter raised her golden bow and aimed at Vijay. She released the bowstring, sending an arrow straight at her opponent. Vijay swung his axe and split the flying arrow in half.

He smirked. Vorac swiftly sent two more, one after another. Despite his giant size, Vijay sidestepped the first shot and deflected the second with ease. He smashed the next arrows with his axes with his lion roar.

Then Vijay twirled his axes over his head. It caused the wind to race through the field. The grass and trees swayed to the impact of the waking storm. The giant avatar threw his weapons. The heavy axes went flying out in a rotational motion. Vorac dodged them left and right before the axes made a full swing and returned to Vijay's waiting hands.

The Son of Marutas muttered something under his breath. There was a chorus of gasps from the crowd. We stared at what appeared to be not just one but twenty-seven identical Vijays on the field. They stood proudly around the arena, baring their iron teeth in a smile. Their laughter echoed one another through the darkening sky.

"Did he just duplicate himself or am I seeing...more than...double?" I said.

"No, you're not," Tepi's voice spoke. "The Maruta gods granted him this ability. It enables Vijay to multiply himself into a troop of Maruta warriors whenever he wants."

"You can't fight us," all the twenty-seven Vijays said in unison. They laughed boisterously, causing the hair on my arms to stand on end.

Vorac just rolled her eyes. She got down on one knee and pulled out three golden arrows from her quiver. She expertly sent them off altogether. The arrows sunk through the bodies of three of the Vijays, and they evaporated and disappeared into gold dust. I watched the whole thing with my heart stuck in my throat.

One of them threw his axes forward. The others followed suit. The numerous weapons flew around the arena like bats. All I could see were flashes of whirling sharp blades in the air. Our friend did her best to duck and roll out of the way while occasionally shot her arrows to deflect the frenzy attacks.

"Vorac, look out!" I screamed, but Tusita held me back. I didn't get how she could be so calm when the love of her life was in danger.

"Wait and see," she just said. "You haven't seen the best of her yet."

Suddenly, we saw what looked like a crescent moon glowing radiantly on Vorac's forehead. As the Moon God's daughter dodged the spinning golden axes, her skin began to shimmer and radiate with an ethereal glow.

Vorac turned magically radiant and breathtaking in a blink of an eye. Her celestial beauty was so enchanting that everyone around the field gasped in awe.

"Oh sweet baby godling," I breathed. Tusita laughed.

"Behold with your eyes, Nikita, that is her divine form you're seeing," she said. "You do not wish to fight with the daughter of the most beautiful god in the Pantheon."

The sight of her transformation made all the twenty-seven Vijays drop to their knees. A dazed look was visible on each of their faces.

Vorac opened her radiant eyes and awoke all emotions in every living soul. She captivated the voice of each adorer while striking her glory at her kneeling opponent.

Vorac drew her golden bow and a golden arrow. The son of Marutas was trapped in a cage of her charm while she floated into the air, earning another collective short intake of air from the audience. Several rings of golden dust circled about her. She was so beautiful that the light bounced off her skin made chiming sounds.

Vorac shot the arrow again. It could have pierced her opponent and injured him badly, instead, her glittering arrow burst into a rain of jasmine flowers, showering the arena. It was a sign of mercy.

Vorac landed on the ground again and flipped her hair in a victorious manner. She slowly changed back to her usual form and walked away from the dazed and defeated avatar.

The crowd cheered afterward along with our team. It was obvious that we had won this whole duel. I was relieved that our friends were unharmed.

After another short break, Sambo's voice came from the pavilion again.

"We have consulted and reexamined the result of this fight and we concluded that it was a draw."

"What!?" we all cried out at exactly the same time.

"Well, children...putting your opponent in a state of hypnosis is not considered as a fair combat strategy," he said. "Therefore, I would suggest we now start another final duel."

We all groaned in disappointment. Samudra stepped to the front, rolling his shoulders like he was expecting his name to be called.

"The last pair of duelists to compete against one another is..." the Guru started.

"Please Meru gods, let it not be her," I heard Tepi prayed under her breath. That was when I knew my luck had run out this very day.

"Ravi, daughter of Vayu, God of the Wind, the Purifier and Breather of life, the Thousand-Eyed Lord of Thoughts." Sambo then paused as his elephant face looked at me almost apologetically. "And Nikita, the Child of the Prophecy...and er...daughter of an archaeologist."