Chapter 70

The King and Queens granted each avatar team a splendid battleship. Two days more to organize and select the crew after we packed our necessities to last the length of the journey.

According to the Guru, it would take at least a week to search for the Rainbow Fish. It would take far less if we knew where to look and better yet—how to catch it.

For now, none of us had any knowledge of the latter, but we were full of confidence that we could rely on Samudra to guide us at sea.

Then things took a new turn when Vorac and Atith came to my chamber. A distressed look marred on their faces.

"What's wrong?" I asked, but they sighed and motioned for me to come with them.

I was led to Samudra's house near the edge of a serene lake. Before we could pass through the front garden, I could hear Tusita pounding on his door and yelling.

"Open the door, Samudra!" she cried. "You're being so dramatic!"

I didn't know what it was all about. Tepi stood there and did not say anything as I walked up to them.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked. "Did he get into a quarrel with Morokot?"

I thought that would be the only possibility as we already knew the two had been dating in secret. Tepi just shook her head back.

"We try to get his help in finding the fish. He knows every living thing in the ocean, but he refuses to tell us."

"Why?" I frowned.

"He wants to see us fail that's why!" Tusita screamed through the crack of the wooden door.

"No!" Samudra's voice came back from the inside. "That's not it!"

"You want us to lose and Issarak be glad at heart to win," Tusita said. "Have you forgotten how much Nikita suffered in the first quest? Now you doom us with this?"

There was a silence.

"Get out now, Samudra, or I will blaze this whole place to ashes!" Tusita yelled again. As if on cue, the sky growled over our heads. Atith had to grab Tusita away from bolting down the door.

I looked at Tepi.

"Why won't he help us finding the fish?"

Tepi sighed.

"We asked Samudra to reveal the routes of the sea, but he thinks it's unfair to use his inborn knowledge and win the game."

"How about I tie him up for you and you could question him?" a voice came from behind us. We turned to find Raksa climbing out of a bush, the flowers and branches sticking out of his hair. "I guarantee he will tell us after a few hellish tortures I learned from my Father's palace."

Tepi glared hard at him.

"Oh, never mind," he said.

"Samudra, you are a fool!" Tusita hissed. "Our shame if we lose to that Murugan's son. No use with your good old morals and honor if we have him as our leader. We need to win this quest so that Nikita could fulfill her prophecy!"

"Tepi," Vorac spoke for the first time. "Maybe we should seek help from Morokot in this case."

But then the chamber door flung opened, and Samudra stepped out.

"Enough of that, I beg you!" he said. "The oath I hold is heavy and unbreakable. I must defend the righteousness and prevent the wrongs. Besides it is my duty to protect all lives that dwell within my Father's realm. I can't ruin the fairness and tell you where to fish and easily win the game."

"It's not as easy as you said," Atith protested. "We have to sail through waves upon waves where dangers are high and our lives at stake. Forget the fairness!"

They all looked at Samudra. His face was tensed and his eyes seemed conflicted.

"No," he said. "I can't help you."

Everyone groaned. It was fruitless to persuade him. He had his mind and heart set on virtues and justice.

I knew I had to say something. I walked towards Samudra and put a hand on his broad shoulder.

"May I have a word with you?" I said. He looked at me in surprise but then he nodded. I gave the others a reassuring glance before we walked together towards the still lake.

We strolled along the bank where yellow flowers blooming. At last, we stopped and stared at the picturesque sight.

"I'm sorry, Nikita," Samudra said. "I want more than anything to see us win, but I can't betray my own conscience. My holy father once said, 'If one has not conquered oneself, how will one conquer the enemy?'"

I sighed and looked at the rippling water.

"I understand," I told him. "I wish I could be as strong as your sense of right and wrong. Who am I to resent you?"

Samudra gave me a long look, but when he couldn't seem to understand my vague words, he turned away.

"The others are angry at me now," he sighed.

"I know you would help us if you are able to. Surely, you're not to be blamed, but none of the avatars is by nature a professed sailor of the significant sea. If there is another way you could aid us without breaking your oath, I hope you can tell me."

Samudra heaved another sigh and frowned as if in a deep thought. Then he stared at the water, and his overwrought face began to lessen as if the flowing element had soothed his mind.

"Let your mind be formless and shapeless like the flow of water. Let it flow through whatever that blocks your path," he chanted a mantra to himself. "The answers always lie within the ocean depth of your soul."

Samudra lifted his eyes to me like he had just realized something. I could sense a brilliant plan settling itself inside his head.

"I know how I can help you without actually helping you," he said with a smile.

I didn't understand it, but I didn't question him.