Chapter 89

"Nikita!" Tepi's voice cried as she and Vorac ran across the wide flower-filled meadow. I was glad to see them again, but then I saw Vorac raised her golden bow. I realized she was going to shoot the beast king and rushed forward to stop them.

"No, no, wait! Vorac, don't shoot!" I said, spreading my arms to block her. "He did not harm me!"

They halted at my words. Vorac lowered her bow again and exchange a glance with Tepi.

"Nikita, I think it's wise to stay away from the beast," Tepi said cautiously. Her body was still poised in a defensive stand. "If we keep him around any longer, we shall all lose our lives at once."

"No, my friends, hear me first, he is a gift and not a threat to us," I told them. The two avatars looked even more perplexed.

"A gift from who?"

I decided it was time to tell them what happened.

It took a while to convince the girls. After seeing that Gajasimha hadn't bitten our heads off yet, they soon began to relax. I invited them to sit down with me.

Vorac rekindled the campfire, and we settled around the glare of the shimmering flames in silence. Above us, the stars shone with their pensive tender light as the moon cast its soft glow to inspire the mind.

My friends took turn asking me questions. How did it feel meeting the limitless, transcendent, unchanging Shiva, one of Three Elder Gods?

"I just stared at him," I told them honestly. "He was blue and calm and intimidating."

I also told them what Shiva had said to me about the rebirth of the Demon King.

"So Ravana is back?" Tepi said.

I nodded.

"And you're destined to slay him," added Vorac in awe. "I knew from the day I met you that Lord Father was the bridge that linked you to this world. We are more or less spiritual sisters! But isn't it time Father Chandra visit you, too?"

Gajasimha was now asleep again, snoring like rumbling thunders beside us.

"So you are the future daughter of our Queen," Tepi mused to herself, but I could see a glint of pity in her eyes. The wisest of the avatars knew the path to heroism was self-sacrifice. "You're also the reincarnation of the warrior prince who was Amarisa's past lover."

Vorac surmised over the details. "Like Rama and Sita."

I smiled at her sadly.

"Nikita," Tepi said as if she suddenly remembered it. "Does the princess know about this?"

"No." I dropped my gaze to the fire again. "It's best not to tell her who I am."

"We understand you," Vorac said, looking at me as if she could relate to the feeling too.

"Well," Tepi sighed. "I guess it's time we let everyone know about Ravana."

~*~

After the night ended, the sun began to rise again. Golden light shone over the green pasture, waking us from our slumber. Every part of my body was still sore and stiff, and my neck felt like a bowstring.

The sun-glow bathed over the prairie. My mind reflected on the last night's event. It felt like a dream wrapped in realistic skin. The only reminder of last night was the lion king, who trotted over to me and began licking my face with his sloppy wet tongue. I yelped.

My friends laughed.

"What a majestic creature," Vorac said. "He seems so smitten by you, Nikita."