Chapter 65

At the Gate of Amaravati, Kemira and two of her older sisters, Goraga and Mondea, along with other celestial maidens came to send me off to earth. I didn't expect the goddesses to come since they were not supposed to show such courtesy towards a mortal. They bade me goodbye with gracious words but I felt their pity underneath.

"What blessing have you given to the girl, Kemira?" Goraga spoke to her younger sister. "She is now brighter even than the glorious moon!"

The other goddess giggled, causing my cheeks to burn hotly.

"I did nothing but to protect her delicate skin from reducing to dust and her body from crumbling to bones," Kemira replied.

"Some blessing, I must try some day, perhaps," Mondea said. "What kind of a goddess who wouldn't want to mark a warrior's heart for life?"

Kemira smiled but didn't say anything. They turned to me.

"I believe it's time you must return to your world. It is my year as the goddess of the zodiac to go to your realm, but I can only be around until the brink of war. Before you leave Amaravati, I would like you to have what you deserve for such a courageous warrior."

"What I deserve?" I frowned.

The goddess pointed to a far distance. I didn't see anything at first, but then I saw several enormous birds soaring through the vast field of the celestial gardens. Their feathers flickered like a rainbow.

They landed a few feet away, and one of the birds looked at me with intelligent eyes. I soon recognized it as the one I had saved from Issarak. The Mayura craned its flexible neck back under its wing. It nipped off a long sparkling tail with its beak.

Then the Phoenix stretched its neck forward, holding the tail to me.

I looked at the goddess in confusion.

"Go on, Nikita," she said. "The Mayura is offering you his gift."

"But...I didn't do anything," I said.

"My dear, winning over the heart is the greatest victory of all," Kemira said.

I bit my lower lip. After a moment, I decided to accept the gift. With my hands held out, the bird placed its beautiful sparkling tail on my open palms. It was light and stiff, resembling a peacock tail with the eye pattern, but it had so many different flicks of colors on each strand that it seemed to glitter like tiny diamonds.

"Thank you...er...good bird," I said. The Mayura then spread its large wings again and with a sharp squeak, it took off and joined its flock in the sky.

Clutching the tail in my hand, I felt the pride engulfing me for the first time. I had won it, my first prize.

"You must hurry now, or you might be late to present the tail," Kemira said then she took me away from the others. She gazed at me with her gold-flecked eyes. "The thing that happened between us shall remain in heaven; therefore, let no worries weaken you, young one."

"Yes, my lady," I said and felt the blush on my cheeks.

I was already nervous to go back home, to face Amarisa, the sweet source of happiness in my undeserving heart. The goddess just smiled as if she understood. She brushed my hair back before giving me a kiss on my forehead.

"You can take my celestial mount," she said. "Whenever you need a ride, you can summon it with an offering."

After she said that, I heard another piercing cry from the horizon. Then I saw a ball of light coming fast. I thought it was a meteor or a shooting star. The light flickered in red and purple flames. It turned out to be another gigantic bird. It landed behind the goddess. The bird's red flaming wings hissed and sizzled, flicking endlessly. I gaped in total awe.