Chapter 21

• Dedicated to Mary-Ann Christopherson- for being a good role model and friend.

Had Rupert and James not have been bounding up behind them, Rebeckah would've kissed Damon while she was so close to him, prisoner in his arms, where she wanted to stay. Instead, not wishing them to think there was anythin romantic between her and Damon, she straightened herself, and pryed herself from his strong, and warm arms. "Rebeckah, are you okay?" asked James, looking worried. "We heard you scream."

"Yes, I'm okay. I nearly fell down the chasm but Damon... helped me back up," she said. 

Rupert and James joined her at the edge, looking down into the chasm. It's depth was endless and immeasurable. While it's length was nearly 14 feet apart; meaning jumping the chasm was out of question. "We could use magic to get across," suggested James causually.

"That's not going to work," said Damon firmly. "The obstacles were designed to test you physically and magically. This, I think is the physical portion of the tests."

"Prove it, prettyboy," said Rupert roughly. "Why should we trust what you think?"

Damon bent down, and for a moment, Rebeckah thought he was going to cry over the rudeness Rupert just showed him. But after she saw his eyes and hands scanning the floor , she knew he was looking for something. A few seconds later, Damon picked up a rock and held it in his hands, as if to showcase it to the rest of them. He pulled his wand out of his coat again, muttered the spell "trans allis" . Rebeckah knew he was just trying to prove a point. The spell he used was simply going to get the rock to te other side of the chasm. Once the spell was put on it, damon chucked it, and for a while, it looked as though Rupert might prove him wrong. For it flew without hinderence for a good 10 feet. But then, with a gentle smack! it seemed to have hit and invisible wall, and then fell down into the chasm. The group listened for a while, but now committal clank of it reaching the bottom could not be heard. 

"So we find another way, without using magic, to corss the chasm," said James, stating the obvious. We all looked around the dank cavern, our eyes scanning around for something to get us to the other side. Aside from small rocks and minerals pressed inot the side of the cavern, it was bare and completely desolate. "We could always jump," suggested James warily.

"Don't be stupid, it's over 10 feet. You're smart enough James, that should'v been out of the question!" said Rebeckah preposetrously. She stared at the chasm, thinking of what few options it offered them."We could make a human bridge?" Rebeckah put forward cautiously.

"Do you honestly think that'll work?" said Rupert, practically shouting at her now. 

"I don't see you trying to come up with anything," Rebeckah spat back at him in a childish tone. 

James whistled, tryin to distract himself from the upcoming argument, whille Damon punded on the walls, kicking them like some sort of mad man, apparently lost in thought over how to oversome this. "That's because I'm putting time and thought into my answers!"

"Oh please! When have you ever given thought to anything in your life?" Rebeckah jeered.

Damon's punding and kicking on the wall grew louder, supposedly to drown out the sound of their shouting. He finally pulled out his wand and sad the incantation, "revelare". The wall didn't change, and in that moment's silence, Rupert's screaming was bouncing off the walls. "I put more thought and care into this mission than you ever did, Rebeckah!" Damon knew his angry nature was because of his very presence, but shoved these thoughts aside, knowing more important matters needed to be dalt next. 

James, who seemed to have a much friendlier disposition, came up and stood beside him, staring at the cavern wall like himself. "Hey...so uh, what're we looking at?"