Wasn't An Accident

Los Angeles

"Adam, you need to calm down and take your pain meds, okay? I don't want you to overdo it." I said gently, holding the pill and a small glass of juice.

Adam huffed and dropped his head back onto the pillow. "But I hate how they make me feel!"

"That's because you're not on them right now and you're feeling a lot of pain," I explained, watching him bite his tongue every time he moved. He'd bruised his ribs a little as well.

"The sooner you get better the sooner you can be up and at 'em again, okay? So there's no point in being in pain the entire time."

He huffed again, but begrudgingly took the pill.

"Good. Now, anything you need?"

He handed me the cold cloth he'd had on his forehead. "Could you cool that off again? Please."

I nodded. "'Course."

We were back in L.A, back home, and Adam was on strict bed rest. It had taken a lot out of him to fly back here but I couldn't miss any more school, and I needed his mom's help. I absolutely had to be leaving for Berlin in two days. It killed me, but there was no fighting it.

There always something between us...

Over all, Adam was surprisingly resistant at wanting help- he didn't want to bother me or his mother, but I wouldn't have it. I gave him a bell to ring so I could hear from around the house, and he wouldn't have to strain his voice by shouting. He texted a few times, but the notification never appeared on my phone.

I returned with the cloth, checking his temp; the drugs gave him a slight fever, but for now he was doing good.

I kissed him, careful not to jostle him at all. "Okay, anything else?"

"Nope. Now go away and get some rest. Have Mom come up again if I need something alright? I'm serious."

"Got it. Love you."

"Love you too, babe."

I left his room and trudged downstairs to convey the message to Leila, who was cleaning the kitchen. This annoyed me a little bit. I kept the house in pretty dang good condition if you ask me and cleaned the fridge out at least every week.

Leila caught what must have been my look of contempt.

"I clean when I'm restless," she explained with a kind smile. "I'm sorry, I should have asked. You keep the house looking amazing, Nix."

I relaxed. Man, this stress of taking care of Adam AND trying to get done my last minute homework was killing me.

"No, it's totally fine. And thanks."

"Are you ready for Berlin?"

"Ha, no way. I feel horrible for leaving Adam."

Leila chuckled. "Sweetie, he'll be fine. He's a grownup."

"He is?" I raised an eyebrow and we laughed.

"He loves you very much, you know. I've never seen him in love like this."

I blushed and slid onto one of the barstools at the breakfast bar. "Really?"

"Oh, Nix. He worships you, honey."

I stared down at the counter, loosing myself in the flecks of white in the black marble. "He shouldn't."

"He would say the same about you, but it wouldn't be true. You two are perfect for each other."