Wish We Were Normal

"Firework." I muttered, smiling at the memory.

"What?" Adam mumbled, eyes shut.

I rolled over to my side so press a kiss to his lips. "You used to call me 'Firework', remember? When we were first friends. Because you thought I was...dang, why did you call me that?"

A sweet smile crossed Adam's freckled lips. "Because you're spunky and cause sparks. And you light up my world. What brings this on?"

"I just got lost in thought. That first Christmas when we'd known each other for like three months or something and you flew in from L.A just to be with me. I still have some of the presents you gave me."

"You're so sentimental," Adam chuckled and kissed my temple. "I have a question, though."

"Mm?"

"Why didn't you tell me then the reason you'd left your parents' house?"

I hesitated, looking at our entwined fingers. "I didn't want you to feel bad or think that it was your fault and then insist I go back. I thought that maybe it make me lose you because of it, and I never wanted that."

Adam was silent, then rolled to his back, staring up at the beautiful wooden beams above us. "You knew me so well, even then. Am I that easy to figure out?"

"No. But back then I think you were just so set on making everyone happy that you kind of wore your heart on your sleeve, I could sort of guess how you were thinking through things."

"What about now?"

"You're much harder to read. You've grown, you know how much trouble one wrong word can cause. You're guarded, now," I trailed my hand along his hard chest and up to the tattoo that read 'Chasing the original high'.

"Sometimes maybe too guarded..."

"What do you mean?"

"You've made a 180 lately, as if you're trying to distract yourself but you won't tell me what's wrong. Careful not to say the wrong thing again."

Adam tensed beside me and turned his head away.

"See? Like that." I sat up and cupped his face, feeling the rough stubble on his chin under my palm. "Adam, what's wrong? Everyday it's like you always have to do something new and thrilling, never stopping."

"What's the problem with that? I have a lot of energy, you know that. I get bored easily."

"Even around me?"

His soft slate blue eyes met mine but it was if he was really looking past me, avoiding the deep eye contact like he usually did.

"Of course not around you."

"Then look me in the eye. Please."

He did, jaw set. Under my hand I felt his heart pick up.

"I'm just afraid of losing you," He murmured, reaching up to play with my hair.

"Addy, you will never lose me, I'm not going to leave, I promise. Okay?"

He sighed. "Okay."

He didn't sound convinced but I decided to leave it alone and get up, reached over to snag Adam's shirt and slipped it over my head.

"Coffee?" I asked while running a hand through my tangled hair.

"Sure."

I moved to open the curtains and from the corner of my eye watched Adam swing his legs over the side of the bed. His hair caught the light and he blinked when the sun filled the room. The red of his beard and hair really stood out now and a smile touched my lips; he was beautiful to say the least. His form was perfect, his arms muscular and well defined, his broad shoulders taut as he rested his knuckles into the bed, lost in thought and looking at the floor.