3.

The little girl squealed, this really was her paradise. Though Klaus wasn't informed on how to look after a child, he did know what any child would want. He was, after all, a child himself once- no matter how long ago.

The room was laced in pink ribbon, the curtains a light white framing the large window. The windows were on either side of the doors, two large glass doors leading to a balcony unneeded for a young girl. 'I love you!' She screamed, freezing Klaus in place.

'You love me?' He stuttered, out of his comfort zone. She nodded enthusiastically, 'I love you?' She jumped up into his arms and any tighter and she could suffocate him, even if it didn't affect him.

'Well, thank you.' He smiled, not daring to respond appropriately- this girl was going to die for his cause, attachments weren't allowed. But, it was already happening. He couldn't deny it, there was an attachment. He couldn't see what it was- but it was there. He hated it. In fact, he despised her. But, no matter how hard he tried, he could not despise the girl. The girl with the shining smile, the girl with the doe brown eyes that looked up at him with such awe that he could hardly draw back a smile.

Klaus let her down from his grip, prying her from his body. 'Go play.' He laughed, not realising that the child needed to sleep, nor did he care. He left Elena quickly, hoping to gather his thoughts into a strategy rather than his chaotic, almost terrifying, thoughts. Thoughts of caring, loving. All for a child he would kill, he had to break these attachments. Although, he already felt the turmoil it would take to break it.

It was not as if he had never cared before, he loved his family- in his own way. He had loved Marcel, the child he had raised once before yet from a much older age, in a time when maturity was to be learnt young. His turmoil came from the sacrifice, it could surface too many emotions for him to cope with. He already suffered the gut-wrenching guilt of a thousand years buried deep. Killing a family member- that would be indescribable. So he broke off all ties- or tried to. The little girl would skip around happily. Rebekah finally making a connection with the child, cared for her and assured the family that she was well looked after. Elijah, through Rebekah's endless whining, taught Elena basic skills such as reading and writing.

Klaus, on the other hand, cooped himself up in his room, pretending not to hear the young girls magical laugh. Ignoring the warmth that overtook him with each word she said. He ignored her calls for him as she knocked on the impenetrable door.

He felt almost as guilty ignoring her as he did when he imagined draining the poor girl of her blood. It was a means to an end and he could do the ritual as soon as the moonstone was in his possession, although he knew that would be a long time. For the time being, he could bear the child's insistent knocking and calls for him until she was an age in which the ritual could go through.

Until November, only two months later, when he finally revealed himself under the light of the sun. Before, he had only appeared under the moon's rays, when Elena herself was asleep. Elena, when he saw him, was delighted- more than delighted, ecstatic.

'Klausy!' She screamed, running at him with open arms. 'My Mad Hatter has come back!' She wrapped herself around his leg, no tall enough to reach any higher.

'Hello, my little Elena.' He whispered, shaking her off gently. 'I have business to do.' He addressed his family before walking out without another word.

'Wait!' Elena called out. 'Please don't leave me, Klausy.' Klaus' heart melted at her words but he put on a stoic façade before walking away, ignoring the tears brimming in the young child's eyes.

As soon as the door was slammed shut, Elena let the tears roll whilst Klaus went to do the one thing he was good at- to bite and kill.

The bar of only humans was just out of the quarter as he was careful not to piss off the witches once again, his rational side was still intact - if it existed.

He pushed open the doors of the horribly fake western bar and strutted in, showing off his power as soon as he stepped in. His eyes burned and his fangs extended and he was ready- ready to kill.

This was his nature was it not? He questioned himself, hating how the girl had got under his skin.

He ignored the nagging voice in his head and began to feed. The bar was busy, at least thirty people we inside. By the end, twenty lay with a lack of a heart. The rest were drained of blood- pale as ghosts.

Klaus smiled to himself, proud of his work. All we innocent.

Elena.

He hated his own mind, he just murdered thirty people and was thinking of Elena. A blood bag walking around his own home. Yet, she wasn't. No matter how he pretended, his own spoiled mind made him think of her.

He didn't even dare say her name, it sent him over the edge: the edge of reason. He howled into his night, his vampiric form apparent as he thirsted for the little blood left in the petty human's luscious veins. His fangs extended at the thought of blood. Although over the years, he had controlled the bloodlust- he no longer wanted to.

And, he had one more person on his list to kill.

Even if it meant that he would have to wait another 500 years.

All to become unattached.

He was going to drain her of blood.

It wasn't a mistake he told himself. He knew the regrets would come later but for now, he was on a mission. No one could stop him now. No one could overpower him now. Not even his noble siblings.

He was going to kill Elena.

word count: 1036