2.

Elena woke up encased by darkness, her body jostling as the car sped down the road. She threw herself upwards, scared and alone about to call out for her mummy when she paused. Outside the window was a blur of beauty, entrancing her- hypnotising.

When she finally broke from her state, she almost called out again. The man in the front seat was no man she had ever seen before. Not her parents, or a relative, a stranger- a stranger with a dark aura.

Not only was there a man but a woman too. She looked fierce, angry and ready to kill. Elena had never been more afraid in her life. Tears began to spill and sniffles began but she never said a word. She didn't want to see their faces, she was too scared to see their faces. They didn't listen to her silent request. The female, the one who wasn't driving, turned, revealing a heavy set of makeup and a mask of irritation on her face.

Elena shuffled backwards, finding herself as far back as possible in seconds. She was trapped. Trapped with these two strangers in a strange metal contraption than she could only assume was a car- it wasn't her parent's car. The woman, with inhuman speed, flung her head to the man in the driver's seat, away from Elena. She nodded before the man sighed and pulled over. Elena looked at them with wide eyes. Why were they stopping? Would she see her parents again?

The man flung himself out of the car and approached her door, opening it gently, and bringing her out of the car by the waist and standing her on the ground, crouching to reach her level afterwards. She trembled with fear but his touch, rather than scare her further, seemed to have at least some calming effect.

He stared at her, his pupils dilating just a fraction before he spoke. 'Calm down.' He spoke so soothingly, gently that Elena could not resist following the orders. She no longer shook, a calm smile spreading across her face. The man blinked and suddenly it was gone. She was still calm but no longer entranced in the man's icy eyes. His voice, when he spoke again, had been replaced by anger and impatience but Elena was no longer scared, in fact, she believed it to be calming.

'I'm Klaus, Elena. This is my sister Rebekah.' He began, warily searching the child's eyes for signs of running. It would not be as if she could get anywhere- she was a young human, he could catch her in less than a second.

'W-Who are you?' She spoke, eyes wide and juvenile. She looked so innocent. A star in contrast to Klaus' darkness.

'We're your new parents, we adopted you, don't you remember?' Klaus lied smoothly. Elena simply looked shocked.

'My parent's gave me away?' Her eyes filled with tears and it was clear that Klaus had begun to panic. His eyes darted to their surroundings to find anything, anyone to help. But, Rebekah stepped in. She had always wanted a child and her reading on parenthood would come in handy for the time being.

'No, Elena. They simply wanted to give you a better life. So, now we're your parents, okay? We're going to take extra special care of you.' Rebekah's lies were less smooth than Klaus', she hated lying to the girl, such an innocent girl at that but it had to be done. Elena's face brightened up immediately, such childish acceptance.

Elena should have been scared but she wasn't. These people were so calming, their auras mysterious but calm. They looked unafraid. They looked like the people Elena wanted to be: strong, powerful, kind. She was wrong. These people were all too powerful and nothing less than cruel. Except for Elena. For Elena, they had gone soft. Why not just compel the girl? Neither were sure why they didn't do just that.

'What about my brother?' Elena looked hopeful, though her smile diminished. Rebekah and Klaus looked at each other in panic. They had not prepared for that question at all. This was all too spontaneous and they knew the lie would most likely put them at some sort disadvantage- whatever that could be with a five-year-old.