14.

Elena stared at Stefan, curiosity flaming in her eyes. Her gaze was ice cold, though. She felt something was off, this guy was putting her off to be exact. She felt choked in his presence and the way he said her name only made her suspicious of what was about to come.

'Do you have your supplies?' His voice was sweet like honey, sickening. Elena wanted to gag. What was this man trying to do? Impress her? Did he do this to all the students? She was definitive that he did not. 'Yes.' She stated, her gaze now frosted over- the perfect representation of winter, cruel and unforgiving.

Stefan smiled despite her inability to be kind to him. He wasn't surprised- whoever had brought her up was a cruel man, or woman, and Elena would have unquestionably gained some of their traits. Stefan moved away, not wanting to draw attention to them. 'Elena, please stay after class to look over the work you've missed.' He announced, the class snickering at her misfortune of missing break. But, Elena didn't mind. She had nothing to do at break, anyway. Unless you counted the multiple chocolate bars she had snuck in her bag, surely she could spend the entire break time scoffing those down.

She nodded and sank lower into her seat, though, because despite not wanting to go to break, she did not want to speak to her new teacher either. Luckily, there was only a five-minute break in between classes but that didn't mean that the students didn't take it to their full advantage and not just to get to their next class.

The class passed quickly, boringly. Elena had done nothing. There was writing included in this topic just mind-numbing comprehension questions that she could see would rarely be useful. Still, as the class went, she continued with her work, trying to exclude Stefan's overt gaze from the room. She felt that if she pretended he was no longer in the world, she could continue to catch up on her work and not have to leave for break or her next lesson, Maths.

'I would like to see your parents, Elena, to talk about fitting into the school this late. I'm sure you'll be fine catching up and making friends but as the head of your year, I would also like to see all the parents as you missed the first parents' evening.' Stefan explained himself well but Elena could see the excuses rolling off his tongue in handfuls. Stefan wanted to meet her parents but why? Maybe that was what the eerie vibe was. Didn't he like her parents? No, she was sure that her English teacher could not have that sort of knowledge. Or, maybe he could. Although he looked young, he had that look in his eyes that her whole family did- her vampire family. Then it clicked, he must be a vampire. She couldn't be sure and she didn't want to come to a conclusion but having the knowledge tucked away would help her in the long run.

'I can tell him to come after school.' She stated. She wanted to find out what was happening and if this was the way to do it, then she would. She knew she was not endangering family; to do that, her family had to be weak. They were anything but weak. 'Do you want me there too?' She asked, her voice seemingly innocent and sweet behind that sheet of ice that masked her. He shook his head.

'I need to speak to your parents in private, there is no need for you to be here.' Elena sighed, this was an uphill battle. She needed to hear what they said and something told her that Klaus would not let her near the conversation either. 'Go to your next class, Elena. The bell's gone.' Elena rushed off despite not wanting to even see the word 'maths' but she had no choice. She was at school now and that meant she had to follow school rules.

Maths finished, then break, then her next classes, then lunch and then the final of her classes and after a six hour day of torture, she was free- almost. Klaus was in his car waiting when Elena knocked on the window to open it. He obeyed and his face came into view although, he still had sunglasses to hide his face- though, at that time, Elena had no idea why. 'What?' Klaus didn't seem to be in the best of moods and the words came out like a silent order to get in the car and let him drive her home. But, Elena did not. 'My teacher wants to see you. A lot.' She emphasised, knowing he would only come if it was urgent.

'Elena, there is no reason for me to see your teacher.' He groaned, his hands tightening on the steering wheel.

'Klaus, there's something off about him. Please go see him.' Elena's eyes went wide and glossy and it was clear, even to Klaus, that she was bribing him into going. And, as always, he did and pushed the car door open, locking it behind him. As he got out, the whole school gawked at him. Not only had he just got out of a bulletproof sports car but he also was undoubtedly attractive to most eyes. He smirked and led Elena, his palm on her back, inside the school. Once the doors open, even more students eyes were on them and Elena could even see a few parents' eyes on them. Elena then led the way through the winding corridors and to Stefan's English classroom in hopes that he was still there.

'Stefan Salvatore.' Klaus spat as Elena's eyes went wide, looking between the two of them. Klaus' smirk had grown into a menacing, wide smile. 'Never thought I would see you again.' Stefan then looked over, another man with raven hair following his gaze. The two of them looked afraid, terrified even. It was clear why. Klaus was stronger than them and that only proved one thing for Elena, they were vampires too. Klaus stepped towards the two boys without so much as a glance at Elena, wanting to show off in front of her. Not that Klaus knew he was doing it. Subconsciously, Klaus always wanted to impress Elena- even if she was only thirteen.

'I thought you two boys would be dead by now.' He growled. It seemed his mercenaries had failed in finding the two incompetent vampires and Klaus couldn't be more furious. 'I wanted the moonstone but it seemed that my men were unable to get it off you.' His voice had changed tone. The whole atmosphere was serene. Klaus smiled as if he was staring at an old friend, which was almost what Stefan was, and the two boys both stood strong despite it being clear they were putting all their energy into not shaking. Klaus cracked his knuckles if only to scare them away more.

'Moonstone?' It was Elena's time to speak and all the eyes in the room flew to her as if she was rat scurrying across the floor. They weren't afraid but they were undoubtedly worried about what she had heard. In the tension, it seemed they had forgotten about her. Well, Stefan and Damon had. Klaus' wits never left him, he would detect if Elena was only just within hearing distance never mind only a metre away.

'It's safer we keep it away from you, Elena.' The man with the raven hair spoke up, eyeing the young girl; he was trying to detect Katherine in the young girl but it seemed his replacement was useless. And, working with Klaus Mikaelson. 'I really don't think it is. What do you think, sweetheart?' He was aggravating them now. He knew their weakness'. He would never go into a potential fight without knowledge and despite this not being what he thought this would be, he wasn't surprised and he was glad to be able to use his knowledge.

Elena simply shrugged, She didn't want to be involved; she wanted to stay an onlooker to the situation. She wanted to scrape away the surface of the conversation to know the true meaning behind it. Elena was scared of what was about to happen but it never did, they called a silent truce- one Klaus would break later on. She and Klaus left only a few minutes later, Klaus brooding his next plan. Klaus couldn't fight without a plan. He was impulsive often and strong but this time, to protect Elena, he had to be careful. He had a weakness now and he had let it happen so his only option now was to give in and protect Elena with all he had. Because he knew that war could happen any moment and those two men might just have been the start of it.

word count: 1475

published: 10.03.17