13.

Elena was now thirteen and with that came the start of her school career. Of course, she was late to it all and she was slightly older than the other kids, though not by much. Klaus had decided that to stay conspicuous and to actually follow the law for once, Elena should be sent to school.

That was not Klaus' only reason. Klaus felt Elena was lacking in a broad education. Elena was brilliant at the subjects she did but they were few- English, German and French. She had some of the most intelligent parents in the world but with the lack of education, she may as well have been a rock in comparison.

It went unnoticed until Elijah had found that she couldn't do simple math and in trying to teach her, hadn't done so well. Elena couldn't do Maths, much like many other children at school, and struggled to learn it with a tutor who excelled in the subject. Elijah couldn't find it in himself to put it in such simple terms that she would understand when much of the Maths he did was University standard or more.

It was Elena's first day and Klaus was getting her in the car. They had a thirty-minute journey to get to the school and it was early in the morning. Elena often slept in and trying to get up at six in the morning had been a struggle for her.

'Come on, love. Hurry up!' Klaus called out as Elena hauled her school bag out. She was joining a week or two into the term due to a mess up in the system and the school had sent most of the equipment to their house and now Elena had to lug the whole load into the car and then to her allocated locker at her new school.

Within a few minutes, they were buckled in and reversing out of the driveway. It was now eight o'clock and Elena's school began at eight-forty; she had just enough time to get her timetable and get to class before the ring of the bell.

'How many students will there be?' Elena asked timidly. She wasn't good with crowds and from what she had found out about the school during her research, it looked rather large.

'A lot, Elena. But, you'll do fine- there's nothing to worry about. I raised you to be strong, Elena, people shouldn't bother you.' Elena nodded, not feeling any better at the situation. She knew that Klaus' words were supposed to be comforting but it left a bitter aftertaste in her mouth.

They weren't even half way there and Elena's stomach was already fluttering. She had gone through all the worst scenarios and she was afraid. There wouldn't be much to worry about, though, when they arrive and Klaus knew that. Elena was outgoing and she would surely make friends quickly.

Klaus looked over, a pitying look on his face. 'I know you're nervous, love, but I assure you that you'll be fine. If not, don't think I won't have my fists at the ready.' Elena smiled lightly, knowing Klaus really would throw a punch if someone did the littlest of things to her. He was just that type of man.

'Okay.' She giggled and sat back in her seat, trying to relax.

After the relatively short drive, they pulled up at the school, earning gawks from many of the students. Klaus had decided that it was best to choose his bullet-proof Ferrari to drop it off and it seemed to be drawing unwanted attention with its blacked out windows and ridiculously shined casing.

'Be careful, love.' Klaus smiled and Elena leant over and placed her lips on his cheek.

'See you soon!' She smiled brightly and bounded out of the car suddenly nervous at a number of eyes on her. She had lived in isolation for years and suddenly the crowd felt overwhelming but she sucked it up and headed to the office, her backpack digging painfully into her back.

She found herself at the office after five minutes of scouring the school. She hadn't asked for any help; she had taught herself that she didn't need help. Elena was independent and she loved the feeling of accomplishment whenever she did something, including finding the office.

'Hello, how can I help you.' The receptionist said generically as if she had rehearsed the line for hours, which she probably had.

'Timetable for Elena Mikaelson, please.' She stated, watching the reception leave to the office just behind her to fetch her timetable.

She came back and handed Elena a flimsy piece of paper that told her what she had. She looked at Monday and found that she had English first thing, perfect. She let a smile form on her face and she left the office beaming. She made her way down the winding corridors that were crowded by students and found classroom Q11.

When she entered, multiple pairs of eyes stared at her, making no attempts to hide it. She sat down, ignoring the many eyes trailed on her and got out her English book that she had been sent.

So far, she had caught up on the homework that had already been given on grammar, which Elena was particularly good at, but she had no other work and her book looked so blank at first glance, only half of the first page filled in.

The class quietened down when the teacher finally walked in after the bell rang for a second time, commencing lessons. The man looked young, he could pass for one of the older students if he chose to. He had chestnut hair and green eyes that Elena would die for but apart from that, he seemed rather plain.

He stood behind his desk and announced the page that they needed to look at of the book they were currently looking at. After the class began reading hurriedly, the teacher approached Elena a beaming smile on his face.

'Elena, right?' He asked. She nodded and gave him a weak smile.

'I'm glad you're here, Elena. My names Mr Salvatore and I'll be your new English teacher.'

word count: 1007

published: 7.03.17