Chapter 4 - The Panel

A/N: I decided to write in the elf prince's point of view, it was a little hard because he doesn't know a lot about humans so give him a break haha. 

Prince Zesius’s POV

I knew when I heard that my brother was investigating intruders in our land that he couldn’t handle it properly. All his altercations seem to end in violence. He was unusually blood-thirsty for our race.

It became apparent that I was correct when I saw him and the others descending upon the two humans. That was when I noticed the most beautiful creature I have ever seen. My heart quickened, I was at a loss for words. A Prince of the Lithe speechless? It was unheard of. Yet here I was.

            “Enough,” I managed to choke out. All the elves except my brother obeyed.

            The beautiful creature stepped out from behind the female human. He was decidedly male judging from the strain on his shorts and his breastless chest. His windswept hair was curly and brown and it fell about his face playfully. His features were soft, and his round brown eyes looked at me in fear. He was scared of me. I must change that.

The female human was taller than him and more muscular. She angled her body around him as if she were protecting her young. Maybe this was his mother? I hoped they were not mates. My stomach jolted at the thought.

I listened absentmindedly to my younger brethren’s excuse for his behavior. Then I went to check if what he said was true. I looked into the female’s eyes, and probed her consciousness. I knew immediately that although she was strong willed and defiant, she was not a threat.

We must take them to the Panel so they can be issued a duty. I already planned to volunteer as Robbie’s mentor. I smiled at the thought.

After welcoming them, and sending Electra off with Mirra, I turned to Robbie. He was slumped against the tree. I saw cuts on his chest and a red mark appearing under his eye. A surge of anger over took me at the elf who hurt this poor, lovely creature. I put my arms out to help him, but he flinched away from me. I dropped my arms. He was still scared of me. I don’t know why his reaction hurt so much.

            “Let me help you, Robbie.” I offered him my arm, and he hesitated before taking it. I led him towards my horse. He limped, and I resisted the urge to carry him. That would probably scare him even more.

            “He’s so big,” he said, gazing at my horse warily.

            “Yes, but still very gentle,” I said looking down at him with a smile, and I saw his cheeks turn a slight tinge of red. Humans are quite amusing.

Robbie let me lift him into the saddle. He was so light that I was afraid I might break him. I put my foot in the stirrup and swung my other leg over. I looked back at him perched on the edge of the saddle unsure of what to hold on to.

            “Come closer,” I said, gently pulling him to my back. “Put your arms around my waist.” His little arms snaked around my waist and then he clasped his hands together firmly. When I coaxed the horse into a slow canter Robbie scooted closer to me, tightened his grip, and leaned his head on my back.

            I didn’t ride as fast as the others because I didn’t want to make Robbie ill. He obviously wasn’t well acquainted with horseback riding. He kept gasping in pain whenever we would quicken into a gallop.

When we finally arrived at the castle the sun was setting, bathing the white fields with a pink glow. The horse trotted over the drawbridge, and through the gatehouse. I stopped the horse in the middle of the court yard and dismounted. Reaching out, I took Robbie off the beast as Tirra came hurrying towards us to take my horse to the stables.