Chapter 16 - The Cure

A/N: Sorry I put this story on hold for so long, but if you know anything about university work loads you will understand why. I have a great deal more planned for this story so please don't stop reading! 

I imagine that the Actor Ben Barnes on the side >>> looks like Olian (if he had pointy ears)

Recap (in case you forgot what happened so far): Electra had to spend the night in Olian's room because someone relocked his door while she was visiting him. Olian is the elf who is forced to live in solitary confinement because of his volatile nature. He has a mark over his heart, that most believe is a curse. Olian himself believes he has no soul. Electra doesn't buy this, and thinks that Olian is strong enough to fight the curse off. The elf prince Zesius "Zee" is still in a coma from when he brother Larsius stabbed him in the back during a training session. Electra's friend, Robbie is Zee's lover, and he not-so-patiently awaits news of Zee's fate. Larsius hasn't been seen since he stabbed his brother. 

 Electra’s POV

I woke up to Olian strangling me. “I told you not to stay! I can’t help it!” he screamed. His face was red, and tears ran in rivulets down his face. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry,” he repeated.

His hands weren’t as tight as the first time he strangled me, so I was able to wedge my fingers under his, and pry them off. At the same time I brought my legs up and kicked him in the chest to push him off me. He moved to the end of the bed, and began crying. I could hear him repeating his apology as tears ran down his face.

“Olian,” I said. “Are you okay? I told you I was tough.” I tried joking with him, but he was inconsolable.

“I almost killed you! Leave now!” he yelled.

“But—“

“LEAVE.”

“I’m not leaving,” I said, crawling to the end of the bed. I came up beside him, and he flinched away from me. “It’s not your fault. Stop blaming yourself for this curse,” I pleaded. Olian didn’t answer me. He wiped his tears from his cheeks and turned away. I didn’t want to push him too much so I just sat there quietly and waited for him to collect himself. Once his breathing regulated and his tears stopped, I slid over and sat beside him. Pressing the side of my leg against his, I wrapped my arm around his shoulder. He tried pulling away, but it was a half-hearted effort.

“Please, don’t pull away from me,” I said. He stopped trying to move away from me, but, like always, he refused to meet my eyes.

“I thought I was getting better. Yesterday, I was actually happy. You trusted me, but I betrayed that trust.” He shook his head.

“Look at me,” I said, tilting his chin up so I could see his brooding eyes. “When the curse takes over it’s not you. It’s a sort of darkness that overcomes you, like a shadow blocking out all emotion and rationality.”

“Exactly. I’m just an ugly, soulless demon, shadowed in darkness.”

“No. I can tell you have a soul, and it’s beautiful. I think you just need to embrace things that make you happy in order to fight it off,” I said. “What makes you happy?”

Olian finally voluntarily looked up at me. “Uhhh, I’m not sure. It’s hard to say. Ever since you’ve started visiting me I’ve been happier.” On his last sentence his voice became a little quieter and he looked down at the floor.

“I make you happy?” I asked. My heart picked up pace. For some reason I was incredibly nervous.

Olian nodded and swallowed. “I’ve never been happier.”