Chapter 1 - The Stranger

A/N: After repeated inquiry I just want to point out that Electra is a straight GIRL, and Robbie is a boy who is gay but not 'out' yet. 

Electra's POV

I arrived at my boyfriend’s apartment early this morning to break up with him.  I bought him a large coffee, and a muffin as consolation in case he became angry. I had to end it with Robbie, it was too weird. I felt as though I was dating my brother. We’ve been best friends since grade school, and decided to give it a shot with dating.

He never had a girlfriend, and I’ve had too many failed relationships. I almost started to lose hope in the whole institution of dating. Maybe I’ll buy a vibrator and call it quits, but then again, I’m only eighteen.

When I found out my last boyfriend cheated on me I ran straight to Robbie’s place. He wordlessly let me in, made me tea, and let me destroy his shirt with my tears and eyeliner. After I finished crying he agreed with me on what a prick the guy was. Then we kissed. It wasn’t the best kiss but it was nice and gentle like Robbie. He was a very comforting guy, and he was always so nice and understanding. He put up with my swearing, weird taste in music and clothes, and my passionate hate of society and authority. So I thought, why not? He definitely wasn’t a prick.

I knocked on his door with my boot, because I was holding two scaling coffees. As soon as he opened the door I handed him the coffee and said, “Robbie, I don’t think we should date anymore. It isn’t working out.”

Then I marched into his apartment like any other day and sat in his window nook. I averted my gaze to the bleak streets of London, Ontario, instead of Robbie’s face. It was raining, like always. You would think that in Canada it should be snowing in January, but not anymore it just rains all the time.

Robbie didn’t say anything at first. I looked over at him, and he was sipping his coffee with a satisfied look on his face. I guess he really likes his mocha latte. Then he collapsed on the cushion beside me and said, “Thank god Ellie! I wasn’t sure how to break it off without you punching me.”

I punched him, not hard, just playfully. “How long ago did you want to break up with me?” I asked, not sure if I wanted to know.

            “Ever since the first kiss,” he stated bluntly.

            I punched him again. “It was that bad?”

            “It was like kissing my sister.”

            “You don’t have a sister.”

            “You know what I mean.”

            “Yeah I guess.” I sighed, and sipped my coffee. “So we’re cool right? You’re not broken hearted and all that shit?” I said dully, lying back on the pillows across from him.

            “Nah, I think I’ll survive. Get your disgusting boots off my seat!”

“You’re such a clean freak.” I kicked my boots as far as I could towards the door and watched as Robbie winced when they landed on the white linoleum, and splattered a bit of mud up the wall.

I laid back into the pillows, and crossed my legs so one foot was flat on the cushion, and the other black-and-white striped nyloned foot swayed annoyingly in Robbie’s face. “So, what shall we do this weekend?” It was Friday, we didn’t have class, and Robbie works from home, so he usually has something planned for us to do. I saw a grin spread across his face and I knew I was right.