Epilogue

Better Than Revenge 

Epilogue

“I’m warning you right now, Soph,” Christian said when the car stopped in front of a nice-looking Suburban house. “My mom is a bit… well… she’s a bit of a whacko.” 

“I remember you said something along those lines in that voicemail,” I said with a snicker. “You said she was kind of scary.” 

He looked at me in surprise. “You remember what I said?” 

My face turned a bit red. “Why? You don’t?” 

“No, I remember it, of course,” he said slowly. “I went over it enough times in my head, after all, because I was pretty sure I’d just made a total fool of myself.” 

I laughed and said, “Well, I might have listened to it a few times…” 

“A few times?” 

“Yeah…” I trailed off. “Only enough to memorize it. Psh.” 

He laughed and reached over, squeezing my hand. “Alright. Whatever you say. I’m serious, though. My mom is kind of scary.”

I rolled my eyes. “I’m sure you’re exaggerating. Now come on! Unless you don’t want me to meet her, of course.” 

He protested immediately, saying, “No, of course I want you to meet her! I’m just warning you! She’ll be even crazier than usual with you, I bet.” 

“Why?” 

He shrugged nervously. “You’re the first girl I’ve brought home… and I’m hoping the only one I’ll ever have to bring home. She’s already really excited.” 

He looked really embarrassed about what he had just said, so I chose to ignore that part of his statement. “I think I can deal with a little nuttiness. Come on!”

I exited the car and skipped to the front door. Christian caught up to me in no time, shaking my head. “You make it hard to be a gentleman, Soapy! You never let me open your door!” 

I rolled my eyes. “I’m not going to sit there and wait for you to get out and come open my door when I can move my arm about two inches and open it myself.” 

“Still,” he grumbled.

He stopped complaining when the door swung open and a tall, slim and beautiful woman stood there. Her hair was styled in unruly curls and she wore an outfit that didn’t match at all but she somehow managed to pull it off. Her bright, emerald green eyes were ridiculously similar to Christian’s and they were wide with awe. Her mouth tilted upwards into a huge smile and she reached out to hug me. Squeezing me until oxygen seemed like a far away dream, she exclaimed, “Oh, it’s so nice to finally meet you! Oh! You are so beautiful! Oh!” 

I choked out a reply that sounded rather incoherent. In my defense, I couldn’t breathe. 

“Oh! I’m so sorry! I’m not letting you breathe, am I?” She laughed loudly, releasing me. I took in a huge breath, smiling weakly at her. “Come in! Come in!” 

I only managed to take one step forward when she gasped. 

“Oh, Christian! Oh, my little boy! You’ve grown up so much since I last saw you!” She reached forward and pulled him towards her.

“Mom, you saw me two weeks ago,” Christian reminded her. 

“I know,” she said, patting his back. “I was just trying to make it more dramatic for our guest here. Play along, will you?”