Epilogue

Epilogue

I blinked through the dark.

Maybe I was just seeing things but I thought I saw him standing in front of my house with luggage scattered all over his feet. He was facing the door so I couldn’t really be sure. Perhaps my mind was playing tricks on me.

“Is that…” I started to say, my heart hurtling into a frantic race. I jumped out of the car before Nathan could go on and on about all the favors he did for me, my knees weakening as I tried to steady my gait. My breath was caught on my throat but I managed to shout with a hoarse voice.

“Leon!”

If he heard me, he didn’t let any sign show.

“Leon… Leon!” I called again, this time louder as I stumbled across the road, not blinking. I was afraid that if I even blink, he’d suddenly disappear. Still, he didn’t turn around to look at me.

Maybe he was just a desperate product of my imagination. He just stood there looking at the door as if to wait for something. It was driving me crazy not knowing if he was real or not. I could hardly see through the tears in my eyes. Even in my imagination he wouldn’t look at me and it was just so frustrating.

“Leon!” I shouted one last time and when he didn’t move, I hurled the demo CD to his direction. Some part of me expected the CD to pass right through the illusion and smash onto the door. Most of me hoped it wouldn’t.

“Ow!” the Leon in my delusion winced, rubbing the back of his head, ruffling his dark hair. When he turned around to face me, there was a fierce look on his stunning blue eyes. In an instant, they widened with surprise.

The weird thing about delusions is that they look so real, you wouldn’t even know the difference. The delusionary Leon pulled something from his ears. I noticed they were earpieces connected to a music player.

“I was wondering where that went,” he said eyeing the demo CD on the grassy lawn. “But if you don’t want it, you could’ve just said so.” His face dimmed; almost melancholic as he picked it up from the ground.

With a bewildered look, I stepped closer to him examining him intently. Maybe I wasn’t just imagining him. He looked so astonishingly real. All of a sudden, Leon averted his eyes from me and started to walk away.

“I—I’ve something… to say!” I yelled in panic, so afraid that he would disappear anytime. My mind was cluttered with so many words and blank at the same time. When he took another step away from me I impulsively blurted, “You’re a liar!” flinching a little as his blue eyes smouldered on me. “You think you’re so cool just because you’re some kind of a superstar!?” I yelled again when I noticed that it got his attention.

Leon took a step closer to me, his eyes narrowing into slits as frustration took over the hesitant look on his faultless features. “What?”

“You drive like a maniac!” I screamed at him, feeling so small as his shadow loomed over me. I swallowed hard and stifled a whimper that had been choking me. “And you’re brother’s even more of a maniac! And you’re stupid! So stupid… to fall for… someone like… like me…” My voice broke in all the wrong places as a single tear rolled down on my cheek.

Leon shook his head, eyes glowering at me, probing then hesitant, almost pleading. His fists clenched as his shoulders tensed. Something in me weakened.

I bit my lip. “And most of all… I won’t forgive you! Never… ever… if you… disappear again,” I said softer than a whisper.

Before I could say more, he darted to me faster than I could have imagined and folded his arms around my nape. I buried my face on his chest and let the tears fall. My heart skipped a beat when he leaned over to kiss me on the forehead, leaving me breathless.