Chapter 34 - Louella Cole

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 34 – Louella Cole

“Wake up, sleepy head.” Leon whispered and I found myself curled against him in the too small couch as I opened my eyes.

It was amazing how two straight hours of zombie-killing action (Resident Evil! And my first time too) could tire someone. I didn’t even realize that I fell asleep.

“We’re almost there.” His breath played through my hair, it made my heart race and I fell from the chair.

I peeked from the window and saw it. Los Angeles.

The towering gray buildings bordered by a spread of blue sea and traversed by arterial roads with the occasional green parks and a single small lake somewhere at the western side. The sun was about to setting into the lush hills and the city lights just about flickered to life. It looked magnificent and I could not help but smile at Leon who smiled back fondly at me as he wrapped his arm on my shoulder.

“Keep your hood up.” Arthur reminded Leon for the second time as we nudged our way against the swarming crowd inside the airport. Before we got out of the plane, Leon had to wear his disguise again and I realized almost immediately why it was necessary.

Left and right, people with cameras craned their necks in anticipation. Urgh. Media.

All the while, Leon did not let go of my hand. Before we covered the distance to the exit where a black service van waited, I heard girls screaming from the international flights reception area about fifty yards or so away from us.

Cameras started flashing and clicking everywhere though no one seemed to bother with us or Leon. After glancing back at the commotion, he muttered in low accented French to Arthur who nodded and beckoned to quicken our pace.

When we reached the car, Joe, the taller of the two bodyguards opened the door and handed Kidnap back to me.

I let myself in after Becky, followed by Leon and was awestruck when I saw who waited inside.

Daintily settled in front of me was a girl with black wavy hair that flowed just a little bit past her shoulders, beautiful big brown eyes, and full red lips. She was rather petite in stature, though by the way she wore that pink strapless sundress, she could’ve been in a teen magazine cover.

“Hi! You must be Sarah.” The girl said in a friendly way. I would’ve known that voice from anywhere; the same girl who answered Leon’s phone the last time he was in LA. “Oh my goodness! Kidnap, is that you? You’ve grown a lot.” She said leaning a bit to pat the tiny beagle’s head. Even my dog was famous. Go figure.

“H-hi,” I replied with a hesitant smile, dumbstruck by her presence.

“Elle,” said Leon, almost in surprise as he let himself in the car. “I didn’t know you’d be here.”

“Len!” She hoisted herself a little from her seat to greet Leon with a hug, smiling widely. “How are you? I missed you so much.”

My stomach cringed, instinctively averting my eyes away from them as casually as I could. Right then, I knew my unreasonable fears had just been realized in front of me.

“Oh my gosh,” Becky’s eyes fixed at the girl. “Y-you’re Louella Cole.” She stuttered, still starstruck.

“At your service,” She said with a sweet smile after she and Leon finally pulled away from each other.