Chapter 23 - Winfred's Song

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 23 – Winfred’s Song

“What are you thinking?” Leon gazed at me as his delicate fingers ran fluidly on the keys of the Fazioli Pianoforte. 

“What are you playing?” I closed my eyes, feeling his nearness beside me. He played a light, blissful song; mellow yet layering my heart with an overwhelming uncertainty. As though I could be overjoyed and miserable. Like I could laugh and cry, and be full and empty at the same time.

“A new composition,” he lifted his gaze for a while but his hands continued to trail on the array of exquisite black and white keys.

“Hmm… So you compose your own songs,” I commented as the notes quickened.

He gave me a frown-smile combination. My heart raced frantically. I didn’t know the combination could ever look so splendid. “As a matter of fact, I do but only when I have the inspiration. I thought you’ve seen the CDs I gave you.”

“I’ve seen the video. I haven’t got the time to listen to the other one,” I smiled wryly.

“I thought you’ve got lots of free time.” He sniggered. “I composed that one when you used to ignore me.”

My eyes narrowed. “I used to ignore you? You started it. All those times you’ve acted like I was invisible or something.”

He seemed to ponder for a while. “I was… dead scared. Remember the first time I drove you home? I was trying so hard to talk to you but you looked so much like you couldn’t care less, I didn’t want to try again.”

“The one after you kidnapped me? Yeah,” I interjected with a hint of sarcasm.

“I thought you didn’t want anything to do with me, hated me even.” His face stiffened.

I thought about it. I knew that I could be so overwhelmingly dimwitted at times and the memory made me want to strangle myself. Blame it on my poor social skills.

“Yeah, maybe I did hate you a little, at first.”

“A little? You poured stinky water all over my face in biology.” He shuddered.

“That was an accident! Plus you were being kind of a jerk… Maybe I did hate you a lot,” I replied in defense which he rebutted with a melodious chuckle. “I’m sorry though.”

Leon continued playing with an amused expression about him. I kept my mouth shut and listened as the refrain came again. His room was scrupulously clean, minimalistic but overly organized. I should be ashamed the next time he decided to play Romeo again and raid my chamber. 

I ran my hand on the sleek frame of the piano. It felt silky against my hand, giving me a cozy feeling, almost wistful.

“You like it? I mean the piano,” Leon whispered as his hand caught mine and put it on his cheeks.

I hesitated then nodded. “Yes and no.”

He threw me a bewildered look and it burned into my memory just like every other emotion he displayed. “What do you mean?”

“I like it. I’ve never seen anything like this before. It’s so…”

“Smooth and light, right?” He spoke my words for me. “It’s custom made, from ox bones and horns, I think. It explains the speckled white finish.”

Almost instinctively, I withdrew my hand from the keys. Ox bones?!

“Hey! At least that saved some elephants,” he smiled in response to my averted reaction.