Table Manners

Table Manners

"He was trying to strangle you because you just mentioned the White Witch?" Susan exclaimed in disbelief. She and Lucy were taking me to my temporary quarters, which seemed to be quite a few halls apart. Apparently, Queen Susan was best at socializing, because she was infuriated at King Edmund's tantrum.

"Um…" I couldn't think of another reply to her loud question. I swear Lucy gave Susan a look that meant "Later!" and both led me in silence afterwards.

Narnia really wasn't a bad place at all. Nor was the Cair. I felt that it was a good place once I got used to it. But I still couldn't get over the fact that my L.A. bedroom had just… disappeared. The room was nowhere in sight, and I hated quiet, so I just took an awkward try to make conversation.

"So… how do you reckon I got here anyway?" I said, in a falsely cheery voice. Lucy looked at me. "Well," she said thoughtfully. "…whatever Aslan wants. You must be here for a reason." She wasn't really encouraging, but I decided to shut up as Susan stopped in front of a large brass golden door (was it made of gold?) and opened it with considerable effort. The room looked… regal. It had a king sized bed in one corner, a vanity in the other, and the walls were covered in tapestries and laces, and oddly, a painting of a beautiful maiden, amongst all the cloth.

"This is your temporary quarter. Until you find a way to go out of Narnia, you'll stay." Susan's last part of the sentence was more of an order than a statement. I nodded shakily, and beaming, the two queens left me in peace. I hadn't realized until that point how tired I was. The bed did look kind of welcoming, so I flopped on it, only to hear a crunch in my jeans pocket. I suddenly realized… I had broken my glasses. I took them out, only to find that I had destroyed them. Sleep was overpowering me, so I placed them under the bed, and rolled over to sleep. I blacked out almost at once.

"Lady Dylexia?"

I heard someone above me call me lady. Weird. I was dreaming. No one in their right mind would call me lady…

"Lady Dylexia?"

There it was again. I could make out a male voice, and frantic female whispering. The voice was indignant this time. I just slept; I needed it.

"That is not her name Adeb!" the female voice came, and I sat up to correct them sleepily. Though the appearance of the sources was weird and…scary.

I at once knew that they were male and female centaurs, judging by their torso of a human (a very ill faced human) and legs of horses. They gave me warm smiles, at least the male, who was called Abid or something. He bowed low to me.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Adeb, and I and my sister Certeza here will be your personal mascots. Your protection." He said, gesturing to the centaurette beside him. I merely blinked. The female, Certeza, snorted. After glaring at her for a split second, Adeb turned to me.

"Narnia," he began. "…is not just a country of charms. It is inhabited by us centaurs, Minotaurs (I suddenly remembered I had a bone to pick with that Eroso), giants and many other creatures that do not exist in your world. You will need every bit of safety you can get. My sister and I have been assigned the job to keep an eye on you and keep you safe." Adeb's long speech finally ended and I nodded stupidly. It sunk in; I wasn't probably going back. Good.

"Now, when the royals come in, stand up and straight and mind your table manners and…" I got off track on the lectures Certeza was giving me briskly on how to behave at breakfast. Quite against my will, Adeb and Certeza had made me wear a simple yet elegant dress, which ended straight at my ankles. It was periwinkle blue with white beads around the neck, wrists and hem of the skirt. Surprisingly, I could see well enough without my glasses, so after combing my tangles, I left without my spectacles. Adeb had to go attend to a council halfway to the hall, so I was left with Certeza, who was fussing over me. She made me feel like I was some kind of wedding suitor for one of the kings, but still, my heart was sinking. I usually ate alone and, well, I had no manners nor I had an idea on what they were; Certeza was still babbling in the back ground.

The breakfast hall was huge for just being a place to eat. It had a long table with about twelve chairs around it, and their two large windows at the sides. Lucy, Susan and King Peter were seated, waiting patiently. Lucy saw me and squealed, jumping to hug me.

"Dylexia! Dylexia! Come here!" I smiled at her innocent delight; I liked her best. Seating myself on the oddly comfy and cuddly chair beside Lucy, who gave me a grin.

"Had a good night I hope?" King Peter asked smiling from across the table. I nodded and grinned; until I realized who I was talking to, and I hurriedly added a "Yes, your majesty." King Peter laughed a musical laugh.

"Stop the formality, Dylexia. I'm Peter to you and you, Dylexia to me from now on." he said casually, smiling at me. Whoa! I had made friends with a whole royal family. I couldn't wait to see the look on Teria Canabe's face when I told her and… my mind hit a reality check; I was not going back to the misery in L.A. My thoughts were disturbed by his voice.

Edmund's voice.

"Hectic day Pete! Veelas wanting a place in the council. No male'd be able to concentrate! They fired at us, look!" he exclaimed, showing a place in his arm, where his silver grey tunic was burned, showing a red blotch.

"You deserved it." I said, before I could stop myself. The dyrad in the door way with food trays froze. Lucy and Susan gaped at me and Peter, well, he remained blank. Edmund's eyes narrowed. His brown orbs locked mine. They were sort of…deep and…and…

I mentally kicked myself, and lowered my eyes. Those were not the feelings I was supposed to feel about my arch enemy. Well, new found arch enemy. Edmund was still glaring.

"What is she doing here Pete?" I felt sure he was still looking at me. I fought the urge to throw something at him and tried to find something interesting in my lap to stare at; Lucy spoke instead.

"Come on Ed, she's part of the family now, and she needs to feel at home!" she said indignantly. "And…" Susan cut her short. "…I am arranging a welcome party in her honour this evening. I have invited all the Telmarine delegations, and people of the Lone Islands. We can improve relations, and make Dylexia feel welco…"

"You don't have to." I cut her short. Everyone looked at me as I looked up; Edmund with intense hate. Susan's statement was surprising to me. Party? For me? Impossible! They didn't even know me.

"Party it is then." Lucy said, clapping her hands together, ignoring my statement and a sort of silent refusal. The frozen dyrad was moving again, and laid out the food, bustling.

Breakfast was a silent affair. It was toast, jam and an apple and goblet of milk each. It was immensely delicious and I gobbled it down like I did at home. Certeza and Adeb had returned and kept throwing me glares when I ate too savagely. I was done before anyone else and ignoring Certeza's fresh glare sighed and put down the goblet with a large clatter. Edmund and Peter looked at me, but Lucy and Susan kept their heads down. Edmund muttered something like "savage" and I, infuriated and without thinking, seized my fork and flung it at him. Certeza and Adeb gasped, Lucy and Susan exchanged glances, while Peter let out an exasperated sigh. Edmund and I stood up, glaring at each other.

"Do you know who I am!" he positively shook the whole Cair.

"I don't care!" I spat back.

"How dare you!"

"Do not pull that tone with me, King Edmund!

"I was about to say the same thing!"

"Well, save your breath, Your Highness"

"ENOUGH!"

Peter was on his feet, his face red, with self control. Edmund and I stared at him. He was shaking with rage.

"Dylexia, you have no right to speak like that, and Edmund, control yourself!" he hissed. Edmund stormed out without a second word, but I stood there, feeling guilt all over. I had thrown and yelled at a king. I was awesome. Well, I thought, looking at Peter's red face and Susan's, Lucy's, Adeb's and Certeza's astonished faces, so much for the table manners.