chapter 30 : Fragili Societatem

"But you at least do well to remember how powerful I am as a witch,Alpha

"But you at least do well to remember how powerful I am as a witch,Alpha. Do not test my power,and do not tempt my fury."  - Carolina Hope (to Scott)

Frail Alliances

Jackson Kenner died. His many wounds from the accident and stabbing never healed. His blood was too polluted with the witched wolfsbane-mistletoe concoction for his werewolf healing to kick in or even for my vampiric blood to help. Knowing that he wouldn't last to make it out of the woods,he told Scott of whom I am,who I really am. The last Labonair child,he claimed. Making his son to promise him to watch over the pack,the family and me.

Even in his dying breath,he still so persistent to made someone else to watch over me and instead of feeling touched,I was rather infuriated. This is not a time for him to be worried of me. I'm no one to his family. This entire over-protective thing began to get under my skin.

Scott was perplexed by his dad's dying revelations and wishes but the last request of his truly caught both him and me,off guard.

Jackson had took my hand and layered with Scott's,telling us to unite the wolves and both Crescent Alphas cannot afford to separate anymore. He had looked at me briefly,mumbling something about how I had looked almost like Hayley but,in a nice way,the glimpse of Klaus still dominates in my façade. 'My heart crossed,son.' that way his last word and it was to Scott.

Though the meaning of the sentence only the two Kenners knew,he had exhaled his final breath with a weak smile while his eyes trained on both of us.

Then,everything kind of blurred out to me. I didn't know how long I had kneeled by Jackson's body next to Scott,staring the bloodied cold ground. Consumed by both shock and grief,we both just sat still while just a few feet from us,Ansel's men rushed here and there,handling their own fallen Alpha.

Also death caused by me.

I glanced over to Scott. Across his face,there were spots of blood belonged to his dad's assailant. His eyes were empty and emotionless. No tears,no signs of sadness. Just empty.

"Scott," I managed to finally croak out. "I'm so sorry,I—"

"Please,don't talk." Scott's voice barely audible,shaken and in verge of breaking. He doesn't even flinch. "It hurts to speak,to listen to you,to try and make sense of all of this at all. You've done damages that is beyond repair,your apology means nothing nor will fix any of this."

Stiffened my upper lips,I just inhaled sharply and let Scott's words sinks in. As much as it hurts,he got a point. A part of me wanted to comfort him,despite his loathe towards me by now. But I don't think I would be much of a help to him.

One of Ansel's men came to us. It was Kaden. His entire clothes drenched in blood and somehow,he doesn't looked bothered by it at all. He looked at us quietly and he possibly formulating what to say. "Look,I know there's nothing I could say now could lessened your pain,but Jackson didn't die in vain and so does Ansel. They died protecting someone that they held important." His eyes glanced at me then back to Scott. "We will avenge them. Francesca will fall. Let us help you."