chapter sixteen!

𝖇𝖎𝖙𝖈𝖍, 𝖘𝖎𝖝𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

*    *    *

*    *    *

( 𝖇𝖆𝖙𝖙𝖑𝖊𝖋𝖎𝖊𝖑𝖉 )

Coach Finstock, in the boys changing room, apstarted to give the annual prep talk to the Lacrosse team before the final, talking into the speaker. "'Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will be joining others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind-'"

Melissa, who had walked in to talk to Scott, looked around at all the players, recognising the speech, "What?"

"'-Mankind - that word should have new meaning for all of us today.-'"

Melissa found Stiles, "What the hell is he talking about?"

Stiles sighed, "He does this every year."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah."

Coach continued, "'-We are fighting for our right to live.'"

Melissa paused, "Wait, is this-?"

"Yeah, it's the speech from Independence Day."

"'-But as the day the world declared in one voice-'"

"It's Coach's favorite movie." Stiles informed her.

"'We will not go quietly into the night!'"

Melissa raised an eyebrow, "He doesn't know any sports speeches?"

Stiles shrugged, "I don't think he cares."

"'Today we celebrate our Independence Day!'" Coach finished.

The whole team cheered, "Yeah!"

*    *    *

Scott sat with Stiles on the bench waiting for the game to start. "Your dad coming?"

Stiles gestured to his Dad sat in the stands with his head, "Yeah, he's already here."

Scott nodded then looked around, rubbing his hands together to try and warm up, "You seen Allison?"

Stiles shook his head no, "No, you seen Elle?"

Scott also shook his head no, "Not yet."

Stiles sighed and also rubbed his hands together, his eyes scanning the field, "You know what's going on?"

Scott looked at Stiles who was avoiding his gaze, "Not yet."

Stiles looked down at his hands before looking back at the field. "It's going to be bad, isn't it? I mean, like people screaming, running for their lives, blood, killing, maiming kind of bad?"