chapter seventeen!

𝖇𝖎𝖙𝖈𝖍, 𝖘𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

*    *    *

*    *    *

(  𝖒𝖆𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖕𝖑𝖆𝖓  )

Stiles was laid face down on his bed, thinking through the day's events. He gazed blankly at the wall opposite him as a knock on the door rang out. "Dad, I said I'm fine." Another knock sounded in his room. Stiles glared at the pillow before shoving it aside and getting up. He reached the door and pulled it open, about to shout when he stopped in his tracks.

"Hi."

Stiles was shocked and leant against the door, "Hi."

Elle was looking everywhere but at Stiles. "Your father let me in."

Stiles turned to the stairs. "He did?" Stiles nearly shouted. He looked back at Isabelle and saw her confused and slightly hurt face. Stiles winced unnoticeably. "Yeah, of course he did."

Isabelle took a step closer to him, eyes finally on his face just not his eyes. His cheek. "What happened to your-"

Stiles licked his lips and took a small step back. "Oh, uh- yeah, no, it's nothing. Don't worry about it. I'm fine." He studied her for a second. "Do you want to come in?"

Isabelle thought for a second before making her way into Stiles' room for the first time. She stood in the middle of the room, tears threatening to fall as everything came crashing down on her.

"How are you doing?" Stiles asked after he shut the door. He walked over to her carefully. As he was going to put a hand on her shoulder for support, she turned around and launched herself into his arms.

*    *    *

Stiles flopped down next to Elle on his bed, holding out a roll of toilet paper, "Hey, sorry, I didn't have any tissues, so, uh-"

Isabelle looked at him with half-amused, small smile. She took the paper from him, "That's fine." She unwrapped several handfuls and broke it off, using it to clear her face from mascara. "God, I'm such a mess," Stiles' phone pinged from Isabelle's lap and she handed it to him, "You have 17 missed messages from Scott."

Stiles rolled his eyes, "I know."

Elle glanced at him in the corner of her eye, "You're ignoring him?"

Stiles sighed. "No. No, not really."

The light caught Elle's eye as it reflected from a piece of gold on the side. She stood up and walked over to it, seeing a Macy's bag there as well and several items from the women's section. She picked up a large gold bracelet and looked at Stiles teasingly. "Why do you have women's jewelry?"

Stiles shot up, "Oh!" He paused for a second then relaxed and attempted to look cool. "Uh, nothing, it's just some stuff I bought, you know, for your birthday when it comes around."

Isabelle was shocked. "For me?"

Stiles stared at her bashfully, "Yeah, I just-I kind of didn't know what to get you, so I just bought you, like, a bunch of stuff. Like, a lot of stuff. You know, I was gonna return anything that I didn't give you."

Elle looked at Stiles then down at the floor in embarrassment as her cheeks flamed up. She shifted and took a few glances at Stiles wondering why on Earth would he like such a fuck up like her. Her eyes caught a box she was stood right next to. "A flat screen TV?"

Stiles looked at her and admired how despite her being a mess with make up smudged under her eyes, her hair was tangled and her clothes slightly dishevelled, he never found her so beautiful as he did then when she was standing in his bedroom after coming to him for support. "Yeah, that I'm definitely returning."

Isabelle's phone pinged. She read the text then strode over to Stiles, shoving her phone in the boy's face. "You're gonna want to read this."

Stiles took the phone and looked her in the eye. "How much do you know about this stuff?" He threw her phone on the bed.

Isabelle looked away. "Pieces-" she paused before including him into hat she'd been seeing. "-Half of it's like a dream."

"Yeah, well, guess what? The other half is like a freaking nightmare."

Isabelle sighed. "I don't care. I can help people." She had to help.

Stiles looked at her in utter disbelief. "See, that's the problem. You-you don't care about getting hurt. But you know how I'll feel? I'll be devastated. And if you die, I will literally go out of my freakin' mind. You see, death doesn't happen to you, Elle. It happens to everyone around you, okay? To all the people left standing at your funeral, trying to figure out how they're gonna live the rest of their lives now without you in it? Huh?"

He took a step forward and she took one back, flinching at the heartfelt words he was giving her. "And look at my face, huh? Come on, you actually think this was meant to hurt me?" He shook his hand in the direction of his cut on his cheek as he composed himself and realised what he'd just revealed to her. "Um- I'm so sorry."

Isabelle backed away, "It's okay. I'll find him myself." She stalked out the door to collect Lydia then find Jackson.

Stiles watched her leave, desperate for her to stay. "Hey, Isabelle, wait."