Kabanata 20

Naimulat ko ang mga mata dahil sa malakas na putok na bumalot sa aking pandinig. Kasabay nito ay hiyawan ng mga tao sa paligid. I shifted my eyes from above and saw the dazzling fireworks as they spiralled into the pitch black sky. The town plaza was filled with happiness and laughters of the anticipating townspeople. The fireworks, once again, lit up the dark sky like the neon glow of the Northern lights.

The whole thing looked like a beautiful painting.

Nanatili roon ang paningin ko habang ang mga tao naman ay nagsimula nang magsayawan sa masayang saliw ng musika. Faint conversations and hearty laughs from the townspeople filled my ears. Isang malalim na buntong-hininga ang kumawala sa labi ko at ibinalik ang tingin sa paligid.

Everyone was dancing to the cheerful music of the band. Fairy lights are hanging by the old lamp posts, giving the place a magical and cozy atmosphere. The smell of salt wafted through the air as the wind calmly sways the waters of the San Carlos' sea. Giggles of the children being chased by their parents for running around with the barbeque sticks in their hand, somehow made me warm in this cold December night.

This scene... it is very familiar. Almost as if it's a scene from the recurring dreams I have.

"Eloise Sandoval?" muntikan na akong mapatalon sa gulat nang may kumalabit sa akin. I turned around to see the person behind me and was surprised to see Gabrielle.

"It's really you!" nakangiting bulalas nito. Napangiti rin ako, lalo na nang salubungin ako nito ng isang mahigpit na yakap.

"God, it's been years since the last time I saw you! Tinatanong kita kay Joaquin pero ang sabi ay busy ka raw sa studio mo sa Manila," sunud-sunod niyang wika. Napakamot ako ng batok nang makaramdam ng hiya.

"Ganoon na nga..." saad ko.

"I'm happy for you. You finally reached your real dream. To be a photographer!" nginitian ako nito. Hindi ko alam, ngunit hindi ko magawang ngumiti dahil sa narinig.

Instead, I saw images. Images of the two of us, standing in this same place at the night of the Sayawan sa Paraiso five years ago. I am holding my camera, adjusting its lenses while aiming for a photo. A photo of I don't know what.

I heaved a deep breathe, "Chief? Naalala mo pa ba kung ano 'yung pinag-usapan natin noong gabing 'yon?" lumingon ako sakanya.

I felt her stiffened.

"To be honest, I don't really remember much things about that night, which was weird, by the way."

"How was it weird?"

"Hindi ko rin alam. But that was the only Sayawan sa Paraiso that felt like it never happened. I can't remember a thing about it, tulad nalang ng naging pag-uusap natin. It felt so sudden and surreal... like a dream," natigilan ako sa kanyang sinabi.

A dream. It was like a dream...

Lumingon muli ako sa harapan. In the middle of the plaza stood a big bonfire. People hopped around the raging crackling bonfire as they sing together with the band. Nanatili ang mata ko sa nag-aalab na apoy. The sound of the woods crackling from the heat echoed in my ears. Hindi ko maintindihan kung bakit, ngunit pakiramdam ko ay may kulang.

The bonfire has become a part of our tradition. It has always been there at the last night of the festival. But why do I have this feeling that something else was standing in there before?

"Wala bang nakatayo noon rito?" I asked, my eyes fixated at the bright orange flickering blaze.

"Sa gitna ng plaza ba kamo?" I nodded. "Sa pagkakaalam ko ay wala naman. It was just a plaza. No trees, no statues... or anything. Bakit?"