Chapter 30-Lost

Picking at the untouched food on my plate, I heave a sigh; mind clouded with confusing thoughts, and eyes newly dried of tears. Charlie's honey colored stare bores into my skin, intently observing my every move as if I'm some sort of lab specimen under the magnification of a microscope.

"You're not eating." He comments.

"I'm not hungry." I shrug, blue eyes purposely ignoring his gaze.

Every one of my nerves are hyperactive, my brain attempting to conclude some sort of explanation for my current predicament; I am here. With Charlie. Never in my life would I have envision myself in this situation, especially one so calm and unannounced. I glance shyly up at my ex boyfriend, his light brown eyes showing no signs of danger or anger, merely meeting my gaze in a non-threatening manner.

"I'm so happy you're here with me." He admits, reaching his hand across the table to hold mine. Instinctively, I jump, pulling my hand away from his touch quickly. My actions evoke a slight sadness to cloud his irises, but I feel no guilt, considering that he has done much worse to me. I offer him a half smile, body and mind both unsure of how to behave at the moment.

"Um, why did you come back?" I question cautiously, trying to avoid angering him in the slightest.

"Because I had to," He states as though it's obvious. "Ever since I left you're all I could think about. I knew I had to come back for you, Bella. I love you." Once upon a time, his words would have melted my insides, my love for him only growing fonder, but in this moment, his phony words hold the opposite affect on me. I feel an unexpected rage bubble up inside of me, simmering beneath the surface of my flesh, and boiling my blood. Squeezing the fists into tiny balls, I am unable to control my uncontainable vexation.

"If you love me so much, then why did you hurt me?" I seethe, blue eyes narrowing into slits. I'm surprised at myself for my newfound courage, normally far too fearful to stand up to anyone, especially him. His words had a strange affect on me, however, and I found myself unable to control the steady current of words flowing from my lips. Charlie sits up a little straighter, obviously not expecting a question as such.

"Bella," He sighs, as though I'm not understanding a complex concept. "I had some problems, but I'm better now. I'm sorry that I frightened you, it won't happen again, okay? Let's not fight in public." His condescending tone only angers me further, his forced speech only skimming the surface of the true damages he's inflicted upon me. I know better than to cause a scene in public, however, and swallow my rage, taking a deep breath in an attempt to calm myself.

"Okay." I huff, slumping down further into my chair in defeat. Moments of heavy silence are weighed down on the conversation, neither one of us bothering to break fill the tension infested air.

"Babe," Charlie finally speaks, his term of endearment making me cringe. I look up to him, blue eyes meeting a gaze of honey, as I wait for him to continue. "I want you to run away with me." He tells me again, and my heart plummets down to my stomach. Eyes widening, my body ignites with fear, and panic. My mouth is dry, and unable to formulate a proper response. Instead of speaking, I shake my head rapidly, the movements so fast, I induce a headache.

"Bella," He warns lowly, irises suddenly darkening. I cannot seem to calm myself, however, and I quickly rise from my seated position; wooden chair dragging against the tiled floor in a loud screech. "Bella, sit down." Charlie demands quietly, trying not to catch the attention of anyone in the restaurant in which we sit. I can't listen to what he's saying, for my mind screams, begs, urges me to sprint away, and instead of ignoring it, I obey its pleading.

Stumbling away from the table, and towards the door, all I can think of is escaping, but as I see Charlie following close behind, my dream seems unobtainable.