Chapter 1-Fresh Start

"Bella! Wake up, we're here!" Mom shouts from the passenger seat of the car. My eyes open slowly, allowing them to adjust to the bright sunlight streaming in through the window. My heart beats faster as my eyes wander over the large buildings and enormous crowd of students, all heading in different directions. I remind myself that I want this, I want to be at boarding school to get away from everything that could remind me of the past. But as I watch all of the students, talking and laughing with one another, I feel uneasy.
    Once Dad parks the car, I hop out and retrieve my suitcases from the trunk. I avoid eye contact with my mother, because I can already see the glassiness in her eyes, and if she cries, I am sure to. My little brother, Collin jumps from the car, and rushes over to my mother, intertwining their fingers. He looks as intimidated by the students surrounding us as I am. I try to push my insecurities to the back of my mind, as the four of us head up to the main building on campus, to get my room key.
    Once I push the door open, I shiver. Air conditioning blasts, freezing the tiny room. Though its almost mid October, they still insist on air conditioning. After handing over my paperwork, my family and I are directed through a small hallway, leading to the Head Master's office. The door is closed, so we are instructed to wait in the uncomfortable wooden chairs resting against the wall outside of his office.
    "This is the fourth time this month you've been sent to my office!" A voice behind the door booms. "Once more, and you're out of here!" I shoot my father a worried glare and he offers a comforting one.
    "It's ok." He mouths to me.
  Moments later, the door flies open, revealing a tall boy. Chocolate curls rest atop his head, and dark green eyes pierce through long lashes. He looks enraged, and as he stomps out of the office, we lock eyes. His intense glare sending shivers down my spine. I look away, too scared to remove my eyes from the floor until I am certain that he has disappeared.
    "You must be the McCarrie family!" I hear a man's voice say. I look up at see my new headmaster standing in the doorway. His blonde hair gelled back, and his white teeth perfectly straight. My family and I enter his office, and once again sit in, slightly more comfortable, wooden chairs. The Headmaster introduces himself as Dr. Sullivan, informs my family of a brief history lesson of the school.  He goes over rules and regulations, and I zone out. I desperately try to rid my mind of the terrible memories that, no matter how hard I try, will not erase themselves. I'm given my room key, and we exit Headmaster Sullivan's office.
    "So let's go up and see your new room, Bella." Mom smiles.
    "Um, actually I was thinking that I could do this on my own." I say. My mother's face drops, and I feel sorry for her.
    "Oh, um ok. If that's what you think will make you more comfortable." Her voice cracks. I pull her in for a tight hug, and feel tears threaten to fall from my eyes. Once my family leave, I will be as alone as I've felt ever since the terrible event occurred. I blink the tears away. I cannot cry right now. I have spent too much time crying, and now, I'm getting a chance at a fresh start. I should feel happy, but happiness has become an emotion foreign to me.
    "Bye Daddy." I say, once my mother has released me from her hold. My father pulls me in for an equally tight hug.
    "Be a good girl." He says to me, and I nod. Once he releases me, I bend my knees to become eye level with my seven year old brother.
    "Don't annoy Mom and Dad too much." I tease him, and he reveals a small smile before grabbing me, and tugging me into a hug.
    I wave goodbye to my family as we part in opposite directions. I walk across the freshly cut grass of the campus, heading towards my new living quarters.
    "This is it," I think to myself. "My fresh start."

Follow my twitter: @slamminstyles xo