Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two 

Ohmygod, it's today.

Enough said.

Everyone was going to be there. I mean it's Julien Marcus. Anybody who's anybody - at least to him - is gonna be there. Matt. Mackenzie. His parents. His boys. I turned red. What I was about to do today was going to confirm my future at least for the next couple of months or so, and that thing needed the approval of his boys too. Shit, I spent all night and day working on that, it's going to be so disappointing and embarassing if it explodes in my face.

Not all my fantabulous plan ruin my day, but there have been a few. Prayers would only help me so far today. 

And if that wasn't enough, I had to pick out my wardrobe. My entire closet lay on the floor, clothes thrown in all directions. I couldn't wear that halter top again, and I couldn't call Mackenzie this time, meaning I was entirely on my own. 

Jeans was not an option, it was a definite choice already, especially my dark blue ones. Picking it out, I set it aside on my bed neatly folded while I considered my options. Just coming out of a steaming hot bathroom into my air-conditioned bedroom meant I was draped in a towel and biting my lip to stand the cold. It'd been another bright idea of mine to motivate myself to choose something and fast, but I don't think it's going to work now.

Making an impression was a must today, so I threw my tshirts back into the cupboard and looked at the remaining. Halter tops, blouses, butterfly tees... A shine of studs reflecting the light caught my eye, and I pulled out a black butterfly tee with grey texture and studs on one sleeve. The other thing that caught my eye would've been the time.

11:45? Oh shit! It'll have to do, I thought grimly as I pulled it over my head, struggled into my jeans and slipped on black knee-high boots. Julien's dark purple shirt and engraved dog tags, as well as Matt's customized camera bag were in the small paper bag I carried in my hand, and I strode out the door to my small Audi.

I wasn't late, per se, but I wasn't exactly early either. I pushed open the white picket fence - literally - and gingerly stepped onto his lawn to a crowd of people. Most of the guys were in tshirts and jeans, while the girls were decked out. Tables covered with a yellow cloth had food and drinks laid out on it, constantly with people at it, not many whom I recognized.

My eyes scanned the large space, looking for familiar faces. She must've noticed me just standing there clutching a paper bag and looking awkward, because Mackenzie saw and strode towards me immediately with a wide grin on her face and open arms. "Jamie!" she exclaimed enthusiastically, suffocating me in a bear hug and nearly throwing me off balance. Matt excused himself from his group of friends to follow his girlfriend's movements.

"Matt," I said, smiling, and hugging him tight. Years of being there for me had made us closer than I first thought possible. "Happy birthday," I added sheepishly, opening the bag and drawing out his present. The camera bag I'd gotten was lined with silk with his name hand-sewn on the front. Not to mention I had it made out of leather. It'd been expensive, but worth it.

His eyes lit up with glee. I knew he'd been looking for the right bag for a long time, and, not being able to find the right one, given up with a shrug and the excuse that he didn't really need one. Unknowingly, he gave me a gift opportunity, or it would've been hell trying to find something for him.

"Thank you so much," he muttered into my ear, hugging me again. When he pulled back he was wearing a grin from ear to ear, making both of us girls laugh. Mackenzie had been about to say something, probably a retort about him favouring my gift more than hers, when a familiar voice cut through all the noise and warmed my heart.