Chapter Four

Chapter Four

When I caught Matt's sandy hair from behind a tree near the lake after school, I nearly tackled him and pulled him into a headlock when I saw a pair of pink open-toed flats with a shiny ribbon near the toes, the kind I would never wear, I stopped short. Mackenzie, I thought to myself, smirking.

So instead of running at him with the intent of tackling him and forcing him into a headlock that would definitely have shorted out his breath, I casually stepped up to his side and smiled at Mackenzie. "Hi."

She smiled brilliantly at me, showing perfect white teeth, while Matt jumped. "Jeez, Jamie, don't do that!" he breathed, glaring at me.

Mackenzie laughed sweetly, and I noticed it made her cheeks red. Well, either that or Matt had been dropping a few casual flirty lines here and there without looking like a complete dumbass, which he was good at. As I saw him smile at her apologetically, I smirked smugly. Obviously the latter.

"I'll call you later?" he asked hopefully.

The sweet girl's smile widened, and she walked off with a slight wave, leaving me there with Matt. I watched his eyes glaze over as he watched her until she was out of his sight, letting him have his moment, before I drew back my fist and punched him in the arm. Hard.

He yelped, and jumped away from me. "Jamie!" he exclaimed, rotating his shoulder. "Damn, woman, that hurt!"

"It was supposed to," I muttered, shaking my fist. His arm was hard, that hurt me too. I glared at him openly. "Alright, you had your fun with Mackenzie. Now why didn't you tell me that fucking Julien was here?"

Matt opened his mouth to answer, then closed it again. That process was repeated several times as he shifted his weight more than once, running his hand through his hair and adjusting his bag, obviously searching for an answer that wouldn't involve me hitting and/or yelling at him again.

When his stalling got irritating, I clenched my fist again, and he noticed. "Okay, okay!" he said quickly, looking guilt. Damn straight, I thought grudgingly. "I knew you'd always wanted to come here, and I didn't want you to dismiss your dreams just because of an ex, that's all," he admitted, putting his hands up in front of him in the hopes of deflecting my fist if it came to that.

I sighed, unclenching my hand. "Well, Matt, you were wrong," I said finally. His frown didn't move me. "I still would've come. There's no way I'm giving my dreams up for that asshole."

"And besides," I added, putting one arm around Matt's as we walked back to his car. "There's nothing I do better than revenge."

He stiffened, and stopped walking to look at me in alarm. "Jamie..." he warned. "He's not worth it, you know that..."

I let out a laugh, making him relax. "Oh, Matt," I said happily, opening the passenger's seat. "I was joking!" I called out over the roof of the car, and the smile that met me was continued inside. But I wasn't so sure how certain I was that I really was joking.

It wasn't nice to know that the ex-boyfriend/player/dickhead you hated with every fibre of your being was in the same school you were. You had to see him every day, flirting with other chicks without a care in the world. Not that I cared, that is. It just disgusted me to no end.

We never ran into each other, thank God. I wasn't sure what I might've done if we did. Hit him? Kick him in the balls? Ignore him? I don't know, but I didn't want to have anything to do with him anymore. And I mean, anything.

That is, until my teacher - Mr. Daniels, by the way - brought in Sir Asshole himself to give a 'presentation' or some shit like that; but really, I knew he'd just charmed himself in the way he always did. To my knowledge - and thanks to dear old gossip - I knew he'd already been with Annie within the first two weeks of school; they lasted five days before he dropped her, and she came to me.