Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I thought he'd stay away from me. Especially after that incident in the classroom. But I was so wrong.

Matt had just bid me goodbye and wound his arm around his darling Mackenzie's waist and walked off when he appeared behind me. "Jamie."

My entire body froze like someone injected me with those painkillers, you know? I didn't even want to turn around, already knowing who it was. This dick had some balls, didn't he, to glare at my back when I was playfully flirting around with other guys, to sing that song in my class, look at me, and now come see me like this?

He was so close. Being taller than me, I could feel his hot breath on my neck, raising hairs and sending shivers - of pleasure or fear, I was unfortunately unsure - and feel the buttons of his blue and black checked shirt against my vest. "Jamie?" he tried again, and I could feel his fingertips at the sides of my arms.

Feeling him touch me like that, my anger rose. I turned around, surprising him and forcing him to take a step back. He had his eyebrow raised, and staring at me skeptically.

"What do you want, Julien?" I snapped, and his eyes widened. "You've got some balls, haven't you? First the glare, then the song, now this? I am doing fine, so leave me the fuck alone."

Not allowing him to recover to say anything, I turned on my heel and walked away quickly, unable to bear being in his presence anymore. I wove my way through the students, apologizing when I bumped into someone in my haste. Hearing giggles and a shy, 'hi, Julien' behind me, I nearly exploded with fury and turned to yell at him. What was his problem? He's been doing fine without me the past two years, now suddenly, two months into the new term, he's trying to talk to me? For real?

I'd stepped into the empty elevator before I realized my mistake. In my haste of stabbing the 'close' button on the panel, I didn't notice him slip in just as the doors closed. "Jamie," he said again, grabbing my wrist as we were hidden from view. "Look at me, please."

His voice held so much desperation the way it had never been even when we were together, I turned to look at him in surprise. Since both our classes were on the top floor and it was the middle of recess, so the chances of someone walking in on us were slim. "What, Julien?" I snapped again, so angry at him for this, for everything.

Instead of taking a step back the way he did before, he took a step closer, forcing me to walk back until I was up against the cold, metal wall. His dark eyes bore into mine, and it irritated me that I couldn't read his expression. "Jamie, I..." he began softly, then ran his hand through his hair, sighing exasperatedly.

I stole a glance at the LED panel that showed which floor we were on, and I surpressed a groan when the number 3 appeared suddenly. My attention was drawn back to Julien when he slammed his palms against the wall behind me, and gently rested his forehead against mine. "I miss you..." he murmured suddenly, so soft I would've dismissed it if his lips weren't so goddamn close.

Memories flooded my head suddenly, unwanted, of each time we kissed, spent time with each other taunting and joking and teasing; our first date, and every date after, singing together, making up after almost weekly fights; taking care of him when he was having a hangover from the previous night, feeling his arms wrap around my waist from behind...I wanted to break down then and there, but all I could do was stare at his lips.

I wasn't supposed to be feeling like this. I wasn't supposed to be letting him do this. He wasn't even supposed to be here, with me. But my body felt tense, and unable to move, like all my body parts forgot its functions and just hung there like a dead fish.