Chapter Twenty-Five

"Do we have to do this?" Stephen asked, watching as Rachael put the finishing touches on her make-up. "Your parents have always hated me. They're going to throw a fit when they find out we're engaged. We didn't even tell them we were dating."

Rachael sighed as she finished applying her eyeliner. They were going to see her parents to announce their engagement and Stephen was not happy. She couldn't deny that her parents had never liked Stephen. They always thought he was rude and arrogant (which was true) and had even told her several times that she should try to find a new best friend. Needless to say, Rachael had never found a new best friend.

"I know that they will," she said. "But I'm their daughter. They have a right to know that I'm getting married."

"I know they do," Stephen sighed. "I know."

"Now, remember: no mentioning that you're a sorcerer. They'll keep me locked up in my old room if you say that," Rachael said. "You took up a position as a consultant at the hospital. Got it?"

"Got it," Stephen confirmed.

"And where were we during the weird magic thing that happened?" Rachael asked.

"We were hiding in the basement of our building," Stephen recited. He looked at Rachael's ring and sighed. It wasn't as big and grand as he would have liked. It was small and simple. "Are you sure that's what you want? I could get a job and save up to buy you a bigger and better one."

"Stephen, I love it," Rachael assured. "I wouldn't want any other ring than the one you picked out for me."

Rachael stood on her toes and kissed Stephen on the lips. Stephen cupped her face in his hands and deepened the kiss. When they broke apart, Stephen stroked Rachael's jawline with his thumb and looked at her lovingly.

"I hope you know that I love you more than anything in any of the other dimensions, worlds, or universes that exist," he whispered.

"Stephen, you need to stop declaring your love for me like this," Rachael chuckled. "I can't even come close to that."

"I don't care," Stephen said. "I just want you to know how much I love you. I haven't treated you as well as I could have in the past twenty-four years that we've known each other, so I want you to know that I do care about you, my angel."

"I love you, too, Stephen. And I'm not just saying I just love you romantically. You're still my best friend after twenty-four years and I couldn't be more grateful to you for staying by me and listening to me through everything," Rachael said. Stephen smiled at her.

"See? You can come pretty close to what I said," he laughed. "Come on, or else we'll be late."

Stephen and Rachael walked out of the Sanctum together into the chilly December air. The battle with Kaecilius was about one month in the past and neither of them could remember being so relaxed in a long time. They had both taken time off to just rest and get used to living normally again. Stephen linked arms with Rachael and they walked to the parking garage of their building. They had moved back into their penthouse after the battle since they thought it would be much more comfortable than the Sanctum. Wong had it for now, but they had promised him they would move back in after a month or two in the penthouse.

"Do you mind driving?" Stephen asked as they got in the car.

"Not at all," Rachael said.

She started the car and backed out of the parking space. The drive to her parents' house was relatively quiet. They were both content to sit silently with the radio playing at a low volume. As they got closer to Rachael's old home, Stephen spoke up.